Match Report - Kidsgrove Athletic

Match Report


IN A NUTSHELL: It was a hard game today at a rainswept Latimer Park. Visitors Kidsgrove fought hard all game, only to be beaten by two goals in the last ten minutes from Lindon Meikle and Aaron O’Connor- when it looked possible that a replay may be on the cards.

THE KETTERING SQUAD: With injuries affecting the squad for this game, out were James Brighton and Ben Milnes. In came Ben Toseland and Gary Stohrer. Liam Bateman was on the bench not fully fit and Ben Bradshaw, also not yet fully fit, was added as a sixth substitute.


Kettering Town: 1 Paul White 2 Durrell Berry 3 Ben Toseland 4 Brett Solkhon (Captain) 5 Gary Mulligan 6 Michael Richens 7 Rhys Hoenes (18 Matty Stevens,71) 8 Aaron O’Connor 9 Rene Howe (12 Ben Baker,86) 10 Gary Stohrer (16 Ben Milnes,65) 11 Lindon Meikle Unused Substitutes: 14 Liam Bateman 15 Ben Bradshaw 17 Munashe Sundire Yellow cards: Richens,54;Berry,64

KIDSGROVE ATHLETIC: 1 David Parton 2 Ross Davidson 3 Rhys Thompson 4 Leon Ashman 5 Ryan Austin 6 Daniel Skelton 7 Tom France (17 Aidan Haughton,84) 8 Tim Sanders (12 Lee Pickerill,65) 9 Kyle Diskin (14 Shaun Rhodes,79) 10 Anthony Malbon (Captain) 11 Daniel Cocks Unused Substitutes: 15 Dylan Bath 16 Ben Fraser Yellow Card: Skelton,77

HOW THE GAME UNFOLDED: The rain came at the wrong time and swept down the field behind visitors, Kidsgrove, in the first half. Ben Toseland won an early corner and the cross found a firm header from Michael Richens – which was headed off the line by a defender. Kidsgrove’s response on 7 minutes saw ex Kidderminster Harriers striker, Anthony Malbon drag his low shot well wide of the left upright. The Poppies forced two corners in quick succession and Lindon Meikle shot over as the ball was cleared out to him. Another good chance for Kettering saw Meikle find Rhys Hoenes in the box and the shot was deflected over the bar for a corner. As the crowd sought shelter from the now heavy rain, Brett Solkhon was in the right place to head a cross away as Malbon looked to pounce. Meikle was turning provider and on 26 minutes he put Aaron O’Connor in with a chance but Grove keeper,David Parton, saved well. From the ensuing corner, the ball came out to Gary Mulligan and his goal bound shot skimmed off of a defender’s head and over the bar. The second corner gave Mulligan another chance and this time he skied the ball high over. Rene Howe put a 28th minute left foot shot wide of the left upright. Kidsgrove forced a corner on 35 minutes, which was headed well wide as they had a ten minute spell of attacking. Rhys Thompson’s 39th minute shot was saved by home keeper,Paul White, at full stretch. Grove forced two more corners and Tim Sanders fired wide. The visitors must have been encouraged going in deservedly level at the break, giving a competitive performance, full of effort and determination.

Half Time: Kettering Town 0 - 0 Kidsgrove Athletic

The Poppies came out in the second half and immediately took the game to their visitors. Within two minutes, O’Connor was given a chance and Parton made a great save as the shot took a deflection. O’Connor then set up Howe and his right foot drive was saved by Parton to his left. If anyone was to score for Kidsgrove, it was Malbon, whose 56th minute turn and shot was only just over. In the next minute, Kettering could have gone ahead. O’Connor wriggled clear on the left and his left foot shot beat Parton only to be cleared off the line by a defender. Then a neat one/two saw Hoenes in the penalty area- but Parton was off his line to gather. Howe had a shot saved, and Ben Milnes, on for Gary Stohrer, hit a right foot volley just wide. Kettering’s attacking finally bore fruit in the 80th minute. The ball was cleared from a corner and Meikle collected the ball and drove a great shot from 16 yards in off the crossbar. Almost straight from the restart Kidsgrove had a chance, but Tom France hit the shot just over the bar. The second goal came on 85 minutes. O’Connor, clear down the left overhit his cross. Meikle did not give it up though, just keeping the ball in on the right touchline. He passed inside for Howe to cross to the far post for O’Connor to head in. Ben Baker and Matty Stevens had both come on as substitutes and combined in the 88th minute as Stevens saw his shot saved by Parton. Finally for Grove, Daniel Cocks hit an injury time free kick over the bar.

The Poppies now await the draw for the next round on Monday (tie to be played on September 30th).

There are now three consecutive home games: Desborough ( Hillier Cup) – Tuesday 19th at 7.45pm Chesham United ( League) – Saturday 23rd at 3pm Banbury United ( League) – Tuesday 26th at 7.45pm

Full Time: Kettering Town 2 - 0 Kidsgrove Athletic

Attendance: 543

Klondike: Thomas Hill wins £165 with ticket number: 17698

Elgoods Brewery Poppies Man of the Match chosen by Sponsor, John Drewnicki: Michael Richens

Team Sheet

Location: Home (Latimer Park)
Kick Off: 16th Sep 2017
Kettering Town FC
Red & Black
1 Paul White
2 Durrell Berry
3 Ben Toseland
4 Brett Solkhon
5 Gary Mulligan
6 Michael Richens
7 Rhys Hoenes
8 Aaron O Connor
9 Rene Howe
10 Gary Stohrer
11 Lindon Meikle
12 Ben Baker
14 Liam Bateman
15 Ben Bradshaw
16 Ben Milnes
17 Munashe Sundire
18 Matthew Stevens
Kidsgrove Athletic

1 David Parton
2 Ross Davidson
3 Rhys Thompson
4 Leon Ashman
5 Ryan Austin
6 Daniel Skelton
7 Tom France
8 Tim Sanders
9 Kyle Diskin
10 Anthony Malbon
11 Daniel Cocks
12 Lee Pickerill
14 Shaun Rhodes
15 Dylan Bath
16 Ben Fraser
17 Aiden Haughton