Match Report - Stratford Town

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Stratford Town: 2


Wilson Carvalho 00
Nabil Sharif 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 3


Luke Graham 45
Luke Graham 45
Luke Graham 46

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Stratford Town: 3


Kynan Isaac 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The Poppies exited the City Security Services League Challenge Cup at the quarter final stage at Stratford Town, losing on penalties after a 3-3 draw after 90 minutes. Kettering took a very early lead through Rhys Hoenes, only to go in at the break losing 2-1 with home goals from a Wilson Carvalho penalty on 26 minutes, and a Nabil Sharif strike in the 41st minute. Luke Graham equalised on 59 minutes with Kynan Isaac restoring the lead in the 80thminute. Graham then headed home to make it 3-3 sending the game to a penalty shoot out which Stratford won 4-1.


As expected there were 6 changes to the starting line up and 9 changes to the squad. Starting were Jack O’Connor, Ben Toseland, Brett Solkhon, Ben Milnes, Luke Graham and Lathaniel Rowe-Turner. There were only four substitutes named which included the returning Ben Bradshaw (back from the loan at Corby), under 21 player Arjan Hundal, who made his debut in the second half and Assistant Manager, Richard Lavery.

Team line-ups:


1   Matija Sarkic

2   Dan Summerfield

3   Kieron Westwood

4    James Fry (Captain)

5   Dan Preston

6   Lewis Wilson

7   Kian Williams

8   Muhammed Sebbeh-Njie

9   Nabil Sharif (14 Curvin Ellis,73)

10 Kynan Isaac

11 Wilson Carvalho (12 Will Grocott,80)

Unused Substitutes:

13 Ross Etheridge

15 Tom Fishwick

16 Jordan Williams

Yellow Card: Summerfield,57 



1   Paul White

2   Jack O’Connor

3  Ben Toseland

4  Brett Solkhon (Captain)

5  Gary Stohrer (6 Ben Bradshaw,60)

10 Ben Milnes

11 Rhys Hoenes (8 Arjun Hundal,60)

14 Marcus Kelly (12 Dion Kelly-Evans,46)

16 Luke Graham

18 Lathaniel Rowe-Turner

20 Adam Cunnington

Unused Substitutes:

7 Richard Lavery

Yellow Card: Graham,25


Kettering started off at a furious pace and scored in the first minute. Ben Toseland sent a high ball forward with Hoenes reacting first to win the chase and place a firm left foot shot past Matija Sarkic. Hoenes had the ball in the net again two minutes later but was thwarted by the Assistant’s flag for an offside. The next minute saw a good run by Jack O’Connor which won a fruitless corner. Four minutes later another Kettering corner saw the ball cleared to Marcus Kelly. The cross found Adam Cunnington, who headed across goal for Brett Solkhon, who could just not make contact. Another minute passed and another Hoenes break saw his left foot shot saved.

It had been breathtaking stuff, but the game began to settle and Stratford forced a corner of their own in the 17thminute,  which came to nothing. However in quick succession in a three minute spell Paul White had to make three low saves from Kynan Isaac twice and Nabil Sharif- who was clear on goal.

The Kettering central defence suddenly looked fragile and on 24 minutes Sharif got clear again, only to be pushed over by Luke Graham who was yellow carded. Wilson Carvalho slotted home the resultant penalty. There followed a 10 minute spell of midfield mediocrity before Adam Cunnington saw a 25 yard shot saved by Sarkic.  Stratford took the lead on 41 minutes. Again the visitors’ central defence went missing, exposing White, and allowing Sharif a clear run on goal for an easy finish. Kettering could have equalised just before the break as Solkhon and Cunnington combined to set up Marcus Kelly with a great chance but his left foot shot screwed well wide.

Half Time:


Kettering brought on Dion Kelly-Evans at half time for Kelly and moved Solkhon back into central defence, with Lathaniel Rowe-Turner to left back. Ben Toseland moved to left side midfield with Kelly-Evans on the right.

Paul White gathered an early Stratford free kick and Sharif got something on a Carvalho cross and the effort was wide of the target. Toseland got in a great low cross from the left which the home defence scrambled away. Kettering were now firmly back in the game and equalised after 59 minutes. Sarkic palmed away a Hoenes shot for a corner. From the short corner the ball was eventually moved across to Hoenes on the right and his low cross was turned in at the far post by Luke Graham.

Ben Bradshaw had replaced Gary Stohrer and his 62ndminute 25 yard shot was saved by Sarkic. Five minutes later, Ben Milnes drifted across goal from the right, along the 18 yard line, and his left foot shot was just wide of the left post. Milnes was then guilty of losing the ball in his own half presenting home substitute Curvin Ellis with a chance which he blasted over the bar. Stratford took the lead again after 80 minutes. A long ball out of defence was not dealt with and Isaac ran on to beat White with a good strike. Within two minutes it was 3-3. Milnes’ delivery from a corner was excellent allowing Graham to score his second goal of the night with a firm header from 6 yards. Stratford had a late chance- and a good one- but Ellis skewed his effort well wide.

Full Time:



Will Grocott-scored 1-0

Brett Solkhon-shot over 1-0

James Fry-scored 2-0

Ben Milnes- hit outside of post 2-0

Kian Williams- score 3-0

Dion Kelly-Evans- scored 3-1

Lewis Wilson- scored 4-1

Attendance: 116   (Poppies fans estimated at 25)

Poppies man of the Match: Rhys Hoenes

Team Sheet

Location: Away (Away)
Kick Off: 08th Jan 2019
Kettering Town FC
Red / Black
0 Rhys Hoenes
0 Luke Graham
0 Luke Graham
Stratford Town

0 Wilson Carvalho
0 Nabil Sharif
0 Kynan Isaac