Match Report - Weymouth

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Weymouth: 1


Bandon Goodship 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 1


Brett Solkhon 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Weymouth: 1


Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


Weymouth won the Southern League Premier Championship Shield 5-3 on penalties today after a penalty shoot out. The teams had fought out an entertaining 1-1 draw after 90 minutes in front of a modest attendance of 521. Kettering only had themselves to blame though, as numerous chances were wasted over the 90 minutes, including a penalty miss.


Kettering welcomed the returning Declan Towers who replaced Ben Milnes who suffered concussion last week. That was the only change. 

Weymouth gave a debut to Mark Childs in goal, with Tom McHale on the bench, and brought in Brennan Camp, Cameron Murray and Harry Baker for the missing Jake McCarthy and Ben Thomson, with Josh Wakefield reverting to the bench.



1   Paul White

5   Gary Stohrer

6   Michael Richens (Captain) (4 Brett Solkhon,71)

7   Lindon Meikle  (2 James Brighton,61)  

8   Aaron O’Connor

11 Rhys Hoenes

12 Dion Kelly-Evans

14 Marcus Kelly

15 Declan Towers

18 Lathaniel Rowe-Turner

19 Craig Stanley

Unused Substitutes:

3   Ben Toseland

16 Luke Graham

20 Joe Massaro

Yellow Cards: Richens,55; Kelly-Evans,90+2



1  Mark Childs

2   Calvin Brooks

3  Jordan Ngalo

4  Brennan Camp

5  Stephane Zubar

6  Josh Carmichael

7  Yemi Odubade (12 Josh Wakefield,76)

8  Cameron Murray

9  Harry Baker

10 Brandon Goodship (Captain)

11 Abdulai Baggie

Unused substitutes:

13 Tom Mchale

14 Liam Farrugia

17 Josh McQuoid

Yellow Card: Childs, 8



A cold and windy day greeted the two Champions who had to deal with a hard surface. The Poppies played with the wind at their backs in the first half, kicking towards the Station Road (Tin Hat) end.

The Terras had an early chance as leading scorer, Brandon Goodship hit a wind affected shot which Paul White, in the Kettering goal, just dealt with.

Both teams forced early unproductive corners, and it was Kettering who should have taken the lead on 7 minutes. Rhys Hoenes did very well to control White’s towering clearance over the visiting defence. On the left, he turned inside and went past keeper Mark Childs. With one defender scrambling to get back on the line and facing a simple tap in from 6 yards he sent the ball out of the ground for arguably the worst miss ever from a Kettering player!

The next minute saw a misjudgment from Childs as he collected a ball on the left side of the penalty area and he was cautioned for handling outside the box. The free kick was well defended.

The game settled slightly, with the wind and the pitch always an influence, and on 18 minutes Michael Richens’ left foot screamer was just over the bar.

Weymouth took the lead on 25 minutes. The foraging Calvin Brooks, from the right back position, exchanged passes with Yemi Odubade, and clear on goal he stroked the ball past White and in at the right post.

Richens had another chance just three minutes later as Stephane Zubar’s defensive header fell nicely for him- but the left foot shot was wild and over.

Another three minutes passed and Dion Kelly-Evans set up Aaron O’Connor for a low left foot shot which was just wide of the right post.

Kelly-Evans then fired one out of the ground before another great chance fell to Kettering. After a corner on the right was cleared back to Marcus Kelly, his excellent cross found an unmarked O’Connor, but the header was just over the bar.

Another promising Kettering move prompted by a great run by Lathaniel Rowe-Turner saw a chance as a neat one-two with O’Connor set up the chance, but an Assistant’s flag intervened for offside.

In between Kettering’s constant goal threats, a good chance for Goodship saw his shot go straight at White.

Finally in the half another chance went begging for Kettering as O’Connor’s free header from Gary Stohrer’s cross cannoned off Childs’ chest from a few yards out.

HALF TIME:    Kettering Town      0    -      1     Weymouth

A hail storm was an early feature of the second period as the crowd scuttled for cover. As the clouds parted, Zubar headed wide from a free kick with the Terras now having the advantage of the strong wind. Goodship had another chance, but it was a poor effort straight to White.

The Poppies took some time to make an impact in the half and it wasn’t until the 59th minute they threatened. Richens made and excellent turn on the 18 yard line, but the left foot shot was well wide.

Kettering came back into the game in attacking mode and an excellent move saw a corner won- with no end result.

On 63 minutes the game could have turned. Hoenes was running in from the left and was flattened by a rash tackle. The Referee decided that the contact was inside the box and Hoenes lined up the penalty.  As Childs dived to his left, Hoenes placed the ball down the middle and the keeper’s trailing legs deflected the ball just over the bar.

The miss seemed to spur on the Poppies though and Kelly’s direct free kick beat the wall and keeper, but was in the side netting.

Kettering were in full flight now but chances for Kelly-Evans and Declan Towers both sailed over the bar as chance after chance went begging.

Kelly’s 79th minute corner from the right saw Towers head wide and on 82 minutes Kettering got the ball in the net through Stohrer in an excellent move- but the effort was rightly ruled out for an earlier offside.

The Poppies finally equalised on 85 minutes. Stohrer had had a good game attacking from the right back position, and he advanced well into the area and fired a low shot past Childs. The ball came off the left upright and super sub Brett Solkhon headed in the loose ball.

This prompted a quick response from the Terras with Goodship firing wide and Paul White having to make a low save to his right from Abdulai Baggie, as the game went to penalties.

FULL TIME :   Kettering Town      1     -      1       Weymouth


Harry Baker   1-0

Brett Solkhon 1-1

Cameron Murray 2-1

Lathaniel Rowe-Turner 2-2

Josh Carmichael  3-2

Aaron O’Connor 3-3

Josh Wakefield    4-3

Marcus Kelly – saved by Childs

Brandon Goodship 5-3


Congratulations to Weymouth on the win and good luck in the National League South next season.

Attendance: 521

Klondike: Jonathan Blinch wins £190 with ticket number: 09374 

Elgoods Brewery Poppies Man of the Match: Dion Kelly-Evans

Team Sheet

Location: Home (Latimer Park)
Kick Off: 04th May 2019
Kettering Town FC
Red / Black
0 Brett Solkhon

0 Bandon Goodship