Match Report - AFC FYLDE

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Connor Kennedy 45
Decarrey Sheriff 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Danny Philliskirk 45
Nick Haughton 45
Jordan Hulme 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


On a night when strong winds and driving rain were a feature, the Poppies, in the end will have been disappointed not to get at least a point. 

Ahead twice in the game they were pegged back both times and lost the game to an 88th minute winner- an excellent strike from the impressive Nick Haughton. 

The lead had been grasped on the half hour by Connor Kennedy’s thunderbolt with Fylde equalising in the 65th minute through Danny Philliskirk. Decarrey Sheriff’s 73rd minute penalty for Kettering was cancelled out by Jordan Hulme just three minutes later only for the gallant Poppies to be denied any return with Haughton’s late strike.


There were no changes to the starting line up from last Saturday. Sam Jones came onto the bench in place of Lewis Wilson 

Team line-ups:


1   Chris Neal

2   Luke Burke

12 Jack Sanders

6   Alex Whitmore (Captain)

3   Luke Conlan

17 David Perkins

8   Danny Philliskirk

11 Junior Mondall (18 Kurt Willoughby,56)

10 Nick Haughton (14 Nathan Shaw,89)

9   Jordan Hulme

7   Ben Tollitt (15 Jack Sampson,79)

Unused Substitutes:

16 Jordan Lussey

19 Reagan Ogle

Yellow Card: Hulme,59.



1   Adam Collin

2   Gary Stohrer

3   Michael McGrath

4   Ben Milnes (15 Michael Richens,83)

5   Ryan Fryatt

6   Luke Graham (Captain)

7   Joshua Scott

8   Connor Kennedy

9   Josh Oyinsan (14 Sam Jones,57)   

10 Ben Stephens (12 Lorne Bickley,69)

11 Decarrey Sheriff 

Unused Substitutes:

16 Jamie Chisholm

17 Ben Acquaye



Yellow Cards: None 


The impressive stadium and surrounds were matched by a superb playing surface.

The Coasters, a full-time team, started with a fast tempo, spraying the ball around with ease and in just the third minute Kettering keeper, Adam Collin was called on to make a low save to his left from Nick Haughton’s left foot strike.

Kettering replied two minutes later as Michael McGrath found Josh Oyinsan on the left. The tall striker burst clear but his low, dangerous cross drifted past the far post.

The next effort on goal saw Fylde’s experienced David Perkins showing great control but his left foot effort was just over the bar.

After a period of possession for Fylde, Kettering got forward again with Ben Milnes setting up Oyinsan – but the shot was blocked. 

Ben Tollitt was causing Gary Stohrer some problems on the left and he won a corner on 14 minutes which was well defended. Another move on the left involving Luke Conlan, saw Tollitt set up Haughton but his shot was over the top.

Kettering, whilst under pressure and having the lower share of possession, managed to break out again on 18 minutes but Josh Scott’s cross found no takers. 

The visitors were having trouble keeping the ball after winning it which was an issue at this stage. Junior Mondall’s 19th minute shot was well blocked and the resulting corner was wasted as the ball drifted out on the wind. Again, with the Poppies losing the ball in midfield, Haughton had a clear run on goal and Collin held the low shot.

Haughton’s direct free kick was high and wide after 25 minutes and at this stage the view on possession was 70/30 in favour of the home side with the pressure mounting.

However, against this run of play, Kettering scored the opener on the half hour. A cross from the left was cleared out to Connor Kennedy centrally. He ran on and from around 22 yards connected with a vicious waist high shot which screamed past the startled Chris Neal.

The game seemed to settle a little, and the Poppies were trying to keep the ball but Fylde’s pressing and retention remained strong. Attempts on goal became a premium for a while until the 42nd minute as Mondall came in from the right and his left foot strike was straight at Collin.

The final minutes of the half saw Ryan Fryatt making a great interception. From the resultant short corner, Conlan got into a good position but he wasted his pass. Finally, Ben Stephens got a shot in for Kettering, but it was easy for home keeper, Neal

Half Time:

AFC FYLDE     0       -    1         KETTERING TOWN

There were no team changes as the second half started, with the Poppies having the slight benefit of the cross wind as the storm and heavy rain lashed in.

Scott saw his 48th minute low shot taken by Neal with Milnes on the assist. Five minutes later a questionable free kick for the home side saw Conlan fire high over from 25 yards.

Tollitt again got a low cross in and Haughton uncharacteristically mishit his shot. Jordan Hulme then received a yellow card for simulation as he went down 10 yards out – but the pressure was building from the Coasters. Hulme’s run and shot was taken by Collin as the former Altrincham striker began to find space.

The equaliser came on 65 minutes as, again, the visitors lost possession in midfield. The ball was well worked in from the right giving Danny Philliskirk a relatively easy finish from 10 yards or so.

Three minutes later there was frenzy in the Kettering penalty area with shots coming in from all angles. Tollitt hit the bar with a rasping left foot drive with subsequent shots being blocked by desperate defending. Shortly after, Hulme fired wide of the left post after picking up a loose ball.

Sam Jones had already entered the fray replacing Oyinsan on 57 minutes, and Lorne Bickley came on for the limping Ben Stephens on 69 minutes. Bickley was soon in the action winning a corner on the right. The corner was cleared as far as Decarrey Sheriff, who drove into the left side of the penalty area past his marker. Right in front of the Referee the gentlest of nudges by the defender brought the striker down for a soft penalty.

Sheriff got up and converted the penalty on 73 minutes to put Kettering in front. However, this lead lasted just three minutes. Hulme managed to turn his marker, which is a well-known part of his trade, and his low right foot shot saw Collin get a touch, but not enough to keep the ball out. 

Kettering responded well to this with Bickley setting up Jones with a great chance, but his left foot shot from a great position was scuffed wide of the right post. Kettering forced two unfruitful corners and from the second Fylde broke with a three on one attack- but fortunately Gary Stohrer made a great saving tackle.

Both sides were looking for a winner with five minutes remaining and Perkins did well to deny the rampaging Bickley at one end, and home substitute, Jack Sampson on his debut, headed over for the Coasters.

The game was settled by Haughton on 88 minutes. He had been a thorn in Kettering’s side all game playing in the number 10 role, and finding time and space. From the left he cut in and fired a great right foot shot high into the net, giving Collin no chance.

It was harsh on the battling Poppies, but Fylde kept their record of winning all of their games so far this season- albeit conceding their first two league goals. 

Full Time:

AFC FYLDE     3      -      2        KETTERING TOWN

Attendance: 0

Referee: David McNamara.  Assistants: Mark Ryder and Graeme Kearney

Poppies man of the MatchConnor Kennedy, a holding midfielder with another quality goal.

Our next game is a League game at home to Southport on Tuesday 3rd November (7.45pm). Streaming details will be available on this site prior to the game.

Match Report by Sadman KTFC


Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 28th Oct 2020
Kettering Town FC
0 Connor Kennedy
0 Decarrey Sheriff

0 Danny Philliskirk
0 Nick Haughton
0 Jordan Hulme