Match Report - HEREFORD FC

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Hereford FC: 1


Williams 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 3


Callum Powell 45
Callum Powell 45
Ryan Fryatt 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Hereford FC: 3


Scott 45
Taylor 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


After a pretty dull first half when a defensive error saw the Poppies down 1-0 at half time to a Kelsey Mooney goal in the 34th minute, the game came to life in the second period.

A brace by Callum Powell in the opening 10 minutes of the half-put Kettering in the lead -an advantage which lasted just two minutes as Jared Hodgkiss rammed in an equaliser. Ryan Fryatt’s goal on 61 minutes put the Poppies in front again, and 10 minutes later Kettering were down to 10 men, after Michael McGrath was sent off for two yellow cards. Hereford equalised from the penalty spot in the 80th minute through Lennell John-Lewis who had been brought down in the area, but the 10 men held on for a point.



New signings, Rhys Sharpe and Kyle Perry started with Sam Jones and Josh Scott dropping out and not even in the squad. Ben Milnes returned after suspension and was on the substitutes bench

The teams lined up:


1   Paul White

2   Jared Hodgkiss

6   James Grimes

8   Giles Coke (7 Giles Camwell,72)

11 Kyle Finn (19 Demetri Brown 86)

12 Kennedy Digie

14 Lennell John-Lewis

16 James McQuilkin (22 Richard Whittingham,80)

17 Ryan Lloyd

23 Dan Jones

34 Kelsey Mooney

Unused substitutes:

21 Samir Nabi

24 Dylan Jones

Yellow Cards: Coke,53



1   Adam Collin

2   Gary Stohrer

3   Michael McGrath

4   Michael Richens

5   Ryan Fryatt 

6   Luke Graham (Captain)  

7   Callum Powell 

8   Connor Kennedy

9   Kyle Perry (16 Ashanti Pryce,87)

10 Decarrey Sheriff (14 Jay Williams,73)

11 Rhys Sharpe (12 Ben Milnes,46)   


Unused Substitutes:

15 Ben Stephens

17 Ben Acquaye

Yellow cards: Perry, 53; McGrath, 60 and 71,(=Red Card,)71; Powell,83.



It was a dank day in Herefordshire today and maybe the first half was a reflection on that.

Kettering started well with two trademark long throws from Connor Kennedy, which were defended well. The Bulls responded straight away and a cross from the right saw Kelsey Mooney fire wide.

Michael McGrath got an important block on a shot at goal in the 9th minute and former Poppy Paul White had to race off his line twice to clear long balls down the middle.

The first 20 minutes could be described as lots of effort but little goalmouth activity, with Hereford having the better of possession.Adam Collin saved well from a Jamie Grimes header following a corner on 23 minutes and the same player’s 30thminute header – again from a corner – rolled through to the Kettering keeper.

Disaster struck for Kettering on 34 minutes, however, as a long ball down the middle saw Ryan Fryatt under pressure from Kelsey Mooney. The defender’s attempted header back to Collin was pounced on and Mooney poked the ball past the keeper. Rhys Sharpe was finding some space down the left and he won a couple of corners, both of which saw Michael Richens unable to deliver a decent ball into the box.

Kettering tried to get back into the game and on 38 minutes a decent cross from Kyle Perry saw Callum Powell mis-kick, and then a long throw from Kennedy was cleared back out to him, and his low cross from the right was taken by White. 

White was out of his area again shortly after to boot clear but Hereford finished the half well with Mooney’s shot deflected wide for a corner and Lennell  John-Lewis heading a decent chance straight at Collin. 

Half Time:

HEREFORD        1    -    0           KETTERING TOWN

The second period started well for the Poppies. Within a minute, Kennedy’s long throw from the left found its way to Callum Powell, centrally 16 yards out, and his strong low drive gave White no chance.

Hereford responded straight away, courtesy of a dubious free kick as John-Lewis made a back for the defender – but he was awarded the free kick. The resultant set piece saw the free kick headed through, with Kennedy Digie just unable to get a good contact on the ball at the far post.

Kettering had a good move on 50 minutes as Powell crossed in low for Milnes but hasty defending saved the day for Hereford.

There was a flare up on 53 minutes (right in front of the writer) which saw both Kyle Perry and Giles Coke yellow carded. Perry had been a handful for the Hereford defenders all game and is physically strong. Coke was seemingly upset at Perry’s physical presence but no foul had been committed. The Hereford midfielder got Perry by the throat and only one decision was inevitable having seen this. The Referee however cautioned both players!

Kettering took the lead on 55 minutes. Powell cut in from the right and sent a delightful shot with the outside of his right foot in off the far post. It was a quality goal.

Within two minutes Hereford were level. The ball found its way to Jared Hodgkiss on the right and his driven shot went high into the net past Collin. Another great finish.

Michael McGrath was cautioned on 60 minutes for dissent and a minute later Kettering re-took the lead. After a Kettering set piece was partially cleared, Powell got possession on the right and his low cross was hooked high into the net by Ryan Fryatt.

Kettering were in the ascendancy and Richens 25 yarder was blocked by a defender. The otherwise quiet Decarrey Sheriff featured twice in a minute as his cross from the left found no takers and then his 69th minute left foot shot from a central position was narrowly wide of the right post.

Unfortunately for Michael McGrath he was given a second yellow card on 71 minutes for an alleged foul – which saw the Hereford player make the most of little or no contact. Kettering were down to 10 men and soon Jay Williams replaced Sheriff to restore the defence.

The mist was forming and it was becoming harder to decipher what was going on at a distance, but it was clear Kettering were going to come under pressure. Collin saved a long low shot from substitute Giles Camwell on 78 minutes. But it was 3-3 just two minutes later, John-Lewis was brought down on the edge of the penalty area and got up to fire firmly past Collin from the spot.

Kettering had 10 minutes to survive plus added time and by and large they did very well. Powell was also cautioned for making his thoughts known to the Referee and the only decent chance the Bulls could manage was an 85th minute header from Grimes which was straight at Collin.

Full Time:

HEREFORD       3     -     3           KETTERING TOWN   

Attendance: 0

Referee: Thomas Kirk   Assistants: Mark Pearson and James Lunn

Poppies man of the Match: Callum Powell – two goals, 1 assist and great all-round display.

Our next game is a League game away at Kidderminster on Tuesday next at 7.45pm followed by a home game against Blyth Spartans on Saturday 5th December at 3pm.

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.


Team Sheet

Location: Away (EDGAR STREET)
Kick Off: 28th Nov 2020
Kettering Town FC
0 Ryan Fryatt
0 Callum Powell
0 Callum Powell
Hereford FC
0 Williams
0 Scott
0 Taylor