Match Report - GATESHEAD

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




M Langstaff 00
C Scott 00
C Scott 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 1


Callum Powell 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The Poppies were undone between the 15th and 24th minutes in the first half as the Heed scored three times, and a rout beckoned as the home side controlled the half. To their credit Kettering performed well in the second period, pulling a goal back and controlling large parts of the half. However, they were unable to get back on terms as Gateshead held on, comfortably, in the end.


There were changes in both personnel and formation. In came both Connor Johnson and Connor Kennedy after suspension, Chris Smith after injury and Riccardo Calder who replaced the injured Rhys Sharpe. Both Max Dyche and Luke Ward were on the bench and Tom Unwin dropped out of the squad.

The teams lined up:


1  Jacob Chapman 

2  Alex Nicholson (24 Matty Jacob,74)

3  Robbie Tinkler

6  Mike Williamson

7  Macaulay Langstaff ( 9 Paul Blackett,64)

8  Danny Greenfield (15 Luke Williams,85)

10 Greg Colley (Captain)

11 Adam Campbell

14 Louis Storey

19 Cedwyn Scott

20 Owen Bailey

Unused substitutes:

18  Ryan Wombwell

31  Sam Guthrie

Yellow Cards: Chapman,61;Williamson,67



1  Rhys Davies

2  Connor Barrett (15 Decarrey Sheriff,82)

3  Riccardo Calder

4  Harrison Neal

5  Connor Johnson

6  Chris Smith

7  Callum Powell

8  Connor Kennedy (Captain)

9  Isaac Stones (24 Kyle Perry,58)

10 Gary Stohrer

11 Claudio Ofosu (12 Max Dyche,46)

Unused Substitutes:

14 Luke Ward

16 Jordan Crawford

Yellow cards:

Johnson,70; Calder,74;Kennedy, 90+4) 



The Poppies changed their formation after last week’s home win and from the start looked uncomfortable against Gateshead’s neat and quick passing. The first home attempt on goal saw Cedwyn Scott’s drive deflected wide for a corner. From the restart Kettering won the ball and attacked through Claudio Ofosu on the right but his shot was collected by Jacob Chapman in the home goal.

Two trademark Connor Kennedy long throws came to nothing for the Poppies, before their best move to date saw Harrison Neal’s firm drive deflected wide after good work by Callum Powell and Gary Stohrer.

Gateshead began to get a firm grip on the game and Kettering keeper, Rhys Davies, dived to gather, successfully, a low cross from the right on 13 minutes. He was not to know what was going to follow as the Heed began to cut through the Kettering midfield and defence with some excellent passing play.

The first goal on 15 minutes saw space created on the left and Scott cut inside, deceiving Connor Barrett, and his accurate right foot drive beat the diving Davies, low to the keeper’s right. The Poppies seemed to wilt somewhat and four minutes later the ball was lost in midfield and with Riccardo Calder on the ground, seemingly with a head injury, play continued. Now outnumbered on the left Macaulay Longstaff had plenty of time to drill an excellent low right foot shot past Davies at the right post.

Kettering created a chance four minutes later, as Connor Kennedy’s cross found Isaac Stones, but the young striker’s header was just wide of goal. There was to be no respite for the Poppies though as the home side made it three in the 23rd minute. Longstaff’s shot was blocked but the deflection saw the ball loop up kindly for Scott to nod easily past Davies for his second goal.

The Poppies were shaken, but tried to respond and on 25 minutes Gary Stohrer won the ball in midfield, giving Callum Powell a shooting chance, which was well blocked out. Five minutes later Harrison Neal floated a free kick into the box, with a Kettering head getting to the ball. Stones latched on to the high ball and his looping header was held by a back-peddling Chapman.

Gateshead got forward again in the 37th minute and Robbie Tinkler saw his low left foot drive go narrowly past the left upright. There was another good chance for the home side in the next minute but Danny Greenfield slipped as he shot and the ball sailed high and wide. Scott saw his 20-yard, direct free kick blocked by the defensive wall and Longstaff’s shot was well over the bar.

Kettering’s best effort on goal came in the last minute of the half as Chris Smith headed a corner against the bar.

Half Time:

GATESHEAD    3        -     0       KETTERING TOWN

There was an immediate substitution at the start of the half as Max Dyche replaced Claudio Ofosu and the playing formation was changed. It was soon apparent the Kettering were going to ‘have a go’ and that Gateshead’s ambition was to manage the game to preserve their lead to the end.

An early Gateshead break on the right saw Davies down to take a Longstaff low cross from the right, and as the ball skidded off the wet turf, the young keeper lost control but there was no one on hand to convert the chance.

Kettering were coming forward though in more determined fashion, and on 50 minutes, Barrett fed Powell and his shot was palmed marginally wide by Chapman. It was a great save. From the corner the ball was recycled to Kennedy but his left foot shot was wild and over the bar.

Gateshead won a set piece at the other end with Mike Williamson rolling back the years. Picking up a loose ball on the left, he beat his man and was frustrated as no one was there to stab home his low cross along the goal line. Soon after home skipper, Greg Olley went on a run but his shot was wide.

Kyle Perry replaced Stones on 58 minutes. Two minutes later Kettering scored. The hard-working Harrison Neal hit a deep cross from the right and Callum Powell, unmarked, rammed the ball in at the far post.

The next meaningful chance came after Williamson upended Powell and, after getting up, the Kettering man’s 23-yard free kick cannoned off the defensive wall. Kettering continued to want to get forward, with Gateshead happy to ‘manage’ the game. In fact the next real chance fell to the home side. Keeper Davies came out of his area to meet the ball and, failing to clear, was tackled by substitute, Paul Blackett. The striker had the ball on the right with an open goal and his shot came off the far post and was cleared.

Powell had another free kick cannon off the defensive wall but the final minutes, including six added minutes, saw the Heed safely manage the game and prevent any more chances for Kettering.

Full Time:

GATESHEAD      3       -    1        KETTERING TOWN   

Attendance: 789 (away fans, 42 – thank you for your support!)

Referee: Paul Brown; Assistants: Majid Ali, Jonathan Gill

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Callum Powell


Next HOME game on Saturday 28th August at 3pm against Farsley Celtic.

Remaining August game: Gloucester City away Monday 30th at 3pm


Early September games: 

Saturday September 4th HOME to AFC FYLDE at 3pm

Saturday September 11th away at Guiseley at 3pm

Saturday September 18th F A Cup 2nd Qualifying round TBA.

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.


Team Sheet

Kick Off: 21st Aug 2021
Kettering Town FC
0 Callum Powell
0 M Langstaff
0 C Scott
0 C Scott