Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Callum Powell 45
Callum Powell 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The Poppies gained a deserved win today at much fancied Gloucester City. Dominating possession for much of the match, they were unfortunate not to be in front at the break, and two well taken Callum Powell (above) goals in the second period sealed the points.


With Chris Smith and Gary Stohrer reporting in with injuries after Saturday’s match, Luke Ward and new signing Lamine Sherif, making his debut, started. Laurie Diakiesse and Tom Unwin came into the squad on the bench.

The teams lined up:


21 Liam Armstrong

12 Daniel Leadbitter

17 Jordan Piggott

16 Ryan Galvin

8 Josh Thomas (4 Tom Harrison,30)

13 Cameron McGilp (19 Danny King, 73)

7 Kevin Dawson

9 Benni Smales Braithwaite

20 Jordan Young

10 Matt McClure

3  Kieran Evans (18 Max Sheaf,54)

Unused substitutes:

6 Fabien Robert

Yellow Cards: Young,23; Dawson,71.



1  Rhys Davies

2  Connor Barrett 

3  Riccardo Calder

4  Luke Ward

5  Connor Johnson

6  Max Dyche

7  Callum Powell

8  Connor Kennedy (Captain)

9  Isaac Stones (Decarrey Sheriff,90+6)

10 Lamine Sherif

11 Harrison Neal

Unused Substitutes:

14 Claudio Ofosu

15 Laurie Diakiesse

16 Tom Unwin

24 Kyle Perry

Yellow cards: Calder,14 Kennedy,23;J ohnson,67; Sherif,90+5



It was an overcast day as the teams came out onto the 3G surface in front of a decent Bank Holiday Crowd.

Kettering immediately took the game to their hosts, dominating the early possession and forcing a number of set pieces into the home penalty area. An early corner, won by Callum Powell, saw Harrison Neal’s cross headed on by Max Dyche and home keeper, Liam Armstrong, palmed the ball away to safety. Another corner saw Luke Ward head wide and, still in the opening four minutes, Callum Powell’s shot went into the side netting.

Debutant, Lamine Sherif forced Armstrong into a full length diving save with a 25 yard screamer and the game was still only six minutes old. Another flowing move down the right prompted by Riccardo Calder and Powell saw Connor Barrett shoot across goal and wide of the left upright.

On 13 minutes a quick free kick played to Connor Kennedy saw him run on, centrally, and his right foot pile-driver was just over the bar. A long throw was then played on by Neal and Luke Ward, on the turn and off balance, 10 yards out, he hooked the ball just over the bar.

The Tigers finally got out of their half and star striker Matt McClure saw his shot blocked out for an unproductive corner. The 23rd minute saw a foul by Connor Kennedy on Jordan Young and as Kennedy fell over, Young appeared to stamp on him. The Referee judged it a yellow card each.

The Poppies soon threatened again and at a corner the ball was headed on to Isaac Stones and with a great shooting chance the young striker just lost control of the ball. Another flowing Kettering move involving Sherif, Barrett and Powell saw Stones’ shot deflected away from goal.

Kennedy’s long throw on 31 minutes was put out for yet another corner on the right and this time, at the far post, Powell’s shot was just over. Powell was causing panic in the home defence with his pace, and won another set piece which was strongly defended.

Kettering continued to dominate and by half time, keeper Rhys Davies had not had a shot to save.

Half Time:

GLOUCESTER CITY      0      -     0       KETTERING TOWN

The second period started as the first half had ended and a 50th minute long throw into the box was won by Max Dyche and his header was palmed away by the stretching Armstrong. Again, Kettering were having all the possession and from a free kick on the right, Kennedy got in front of the defender, only to head over the bar.

On 58 minutes Kettering got the goal that their play had deserved. A swift one-two between Powell and Neal on the right sent Powell away and he coolly finished past Armstrong’s right hand.

The goal seemed to spur Gloucester and they won a corner in the 61st minute, which was stoutly defended by Luke Ward who headed away. Davies was then called into action to comfortably palm over a shot from home substitute Max Sheaf.

Kettering almost scored a second on 71 minutes as Neal’s free kick found Connor Johnson, unchallenged, and in plenty of space, but he planted his header over the bar. The Poppies did, however, double their lead three minutes later. A quick break on the right involving Barrett and Kennedy put Powell clear in on goal. He made no mistake firing in high to Armstrong’s left.

The Poppies set about managing the game and did so pretty well, containing anything Gloucester had to offer. In fact, it could have been 3-0 on 84 minutes as the impressive Lamine Sherif was fouled just outside the penalty area. Powell’s free kick came off the wall and fell nicely for Kennedy and Armstrong pulled off a good save to deny the Kettering skipper.

City forced three late corners and the best they could do from those was a Tom Harrison header which was well wide. The final action saw Davies finally make a save, holding on to Benni Smales Braithwaite’s fierce drive.

It had been the Poppies best performance of the season to date, and no one could argue with the three points gained. 

Full Time:

GLOUCESTER CITY      0       -     2       KETTER0ING TOWN   


Attendance: 2007 (away fans estimated at 150)

Referee: Philip Staynings; Assistants: Mark Senior and Rowan Clarke

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Callum Powell 

Next HOME game on Saturday 4th September at 3pm against AFC Fylde.

Other September games: 

Saturday September 11th away at Guiseley at 3pm

Saturday September 18th F A Cup 2nd Qualifying round TBA.

Saturday September 25th HOME to Spennymoor at 3pm

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.

Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 30th Aug 2021
Kettering Town FC
0 Callum Powell
0 Callum Powell
Red / RED