Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards





Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 1


Kyle Perry 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards





Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report

Kettering Town v Spennymoor Town

Vanarama National League North

Saturday 25th September 2021   3:00pm


Kettering Town 

Spennymoor Town


 Rhys Davies



 Dale Eve



 Connor Barrett



 Scott McLean          



 Alex Brown



 Joe Tait                



 Luke Ward    



 James Curtis (Capt)              



 Chris Smith



 Carl Magnay



 Max Dyche



 Ryan Hall   



 Callum Powell

 Off 67


 Brad Abbott



 Claudio Ofosu

 Off 85


 Adriano Moke                



 Decarrey Sheriff

 Off 80


 Jamie Chandler          



 Lamine Sherif  (Capt)



 Rob Ramshaw



 Harrison Neal



 Glen Taylor                   















 Tom Unwin



 Harry Flatters           



 Issac Stones

 On 67


 Mark Anderson           



 Luke O'Neil



 Jason Kennedy                 



 Jordon Crawford

 On 85


 Stephen Thompson         



 Kyle Perry

 On 80


 Frank Mulhern



Referee: Ben Wyatt       Assistants: Lee Hartley and Thomas Kelly

Having successfully navigated a path past a determined Spalding Town Paul Cox's team faced another tough test in Spennymoor Town, who themselves had won a mid-week cup replay by beating League favourites AFC Fylde. The task would be made harder by the continued absence through injury of Captain Kennedy and the unavailability through suspension of  Connor Johnson. His place in the back three would be taken by Chris Smith. Max Dyche returned to the side with Tom Unwin reverting to the bench. Up front Decarrey Sheriff would start. Joining Perry, Stones and Crawford as substitutes would be new signing defender Luke O'Neil.

Under overcast skies perfect conditions for football once again were present. The pitch still looked hard and bouncy, not helped by the previous week's sunshine. Spennymoor in blue and yellow striped shirts and yellow shorts kicked off attacking the Tin Hat end.  

Once again Kettering made a slow start with Spennymoor straight on the attack winning a corner on the open side in the second minute. Rhys Davies gets a hand to the ball but his weak punch goes straight to Joe Tait who sees his effort cleared off the line by Luke Ward for another corner this time on the stand side. This corner was cut out at the near post by Alex Brown whose cleared the ball deep down field towards Callum Powell covered by two defenders. The Spennymoor men misjudge the ball though allowing Callum to spin past them and chase the ball. Dale Eve in the Spennymoor goal, however was alert to the situation and sprinted out to narrowly beat Powell to the ball.

After six minutes a ball forward from Spennymoor led to a moment on indecision between Chris Smith and Davies led to the dangerous Rob Ramshaw sensing a chance. Rhys tried to hack the ball clear just outside the area but got more on the Spennymoor player than the ball which led to a free kick right on the edge of the penalty area and Davies a yellow card. Some of the Spennymoor players were asking for a penalty but if the ball had been in the box Davies would have caught it. The free kick was low and hard but straight into the box and cleared by Kettering before going out of a Spennymoor player. The throw-in was awarded to the visitors though and was throw to Ramshaw who did enough to earn Spennymoor another corner this time on the stand side. The kick picked out Carl Magnay who saw his shot strike the crossbar and be cleared down field by Kettering.

Kettering won their first corner after twelve minutes with Alex Brown delivering an inswinger from the open side. However, Eve was dominant in claiming the ball with a confident catch. Three minutes later Kettering won another corner on the far side following good work by Ofosu. This time Eve cleared the imminent danger with a punch. The ball was played forward by Kettering but went behind for what appeared to be a corner but Mr Wyatt awarded a goal kick.

 After twenty-two minutes Kettering had their best move of the game stringing several passes together deep in Spennymoor's half showing patience. Harrison Neal finished the move off but his shot lacked power and was simple for Eve.

Two minutes later Kettering were put under pressure again when a long ball forward which looked to be heading out for a goal kick was unnecessarily headed by Connor Barrett. The corner was met by a Davies palm but play was halted when Chandler fouled Lamine Sherif in challenging for the rebound.

Three minutes before the half hour mark Adriano Moke made a penetrating run down Kettering's right playing a good one-two with McLean and getting into Kettering's penalty area. Luke Ward made a good covering tackle though at the expense of a corner which was headed clear by Brown. Six minutes later Glen Taylor showed his skills carrying the ball forward twisting and turning Dyche whilst advancing down the pitch. Fortunately, for Kettering his shot did not match the quality of his approach work and was wide of the mark.

The deadlock was broken with just under ten minutes of the half left. Moke repeated his run of ten minutes earlier with another penetrating run into the box before cutting the ball back to Ryan Hall who from six yards out could just poke the ball past Davies who had no chance. Spennymoor 0-1 36 mins

As the game was heading towards half time Chandler was cautioned for a deliberate handball. The final actions for both teams were hopeful shots from Powell for the hosts and Taylor for the visitors but the result was the same straight at the keepers for a simple collect.

After blowing the half time whistle the officials were approached by no less than three Spennymoor players no doubt unhappy that not 100% of the referee's decisions had gone their way.

Half Time: Kettering Town 0  Spennymoor Town 1

Kettering made the better start of the second half and Barrett broke well down Spennymoor's left getting to the by-line but his drilled cross was cut out by McLean for a corner dealt with by Eve with a firm punch.

After fifty-five minutes Ofosu collected the ball out wide on Spennymoor's right. Close to the corner flag but with no support forthcoming Claudio worked his way inside and threaded a ball through on the floor towards Sheriff. Decarrey took a touch and five yards out took it around the keeper and then attempted to lift it over the floored Eve. Dale managed to get a hand on it but it needed the intervention of Magnay on the line to make contact with the ball to propel it up onto the bar before it was scrambled behind. The corner was calmly collected by Eve.

It was almost ten minutes later that Spennymoor had a meaningful venture into Kettering's half having been forced to defend for an extended period. They were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area in a central position as Taylor used his experience to ensure the decision went his way. But again, the kick was disappointing going straight at Davies.

Kettering made their first substitution after sixty-seven minutes with Powell, who had been guilty of trying to do too much on his own rather than passing the ball,being replaced by Stones. With twenty minutes to go Ofosu receives a yellow card for contesting a 50/50 ball with Moko. The referee then shows ignorance of the rules by making the Spennymoor player leave the pitch after treatment even though the Kettering player was cautioned. Four minutes later Dyche joined him in the referee's notebook after an inadvertent flailing hand caught Ramshaw in the face as the two players chased a loose ball. It was a surprising decision as free kick in the first half for use of an elbow by a Spennymoor player didn't result in a similar sanction.

With ten minutes to go Kyle Perry replaced Decarrey Sheriff. Shortly after Lamine Sherif showed a bit of desperation shooting over from 25 yards.

With Spennymoor looking to have settled for a 1-0 win they were awarded a soft free kick midway inside Kettering's half some 10 yards inside of the open side touchline. The ball was aimed deep towards the far post where Taylor looped a header back across goal into the top corner giving Davies no chance again. Spennymoor 0-2 83 mins

With five minutes to go Jordon Crawford making his first competitive appearance for the club replacing Ofosu. Just as the board indicating the additional minutes to be played Crawford made his mark on the game. Perry fed the ball across to him and Jordon made a penetrating run into the box he twisted and turned his marker and cut the ball back into the middle to Perry who saw his firm shot deflect into the net. Kettering 1-2 90 mins

In the additional four minutes Crawford had the chance to equalise when Brown crossed into the box. Jordon appeared to be caught in two minds and in trying to control the ball was guilty of a poor touch which fed the ball into Eve's hands whereas a player with the confidence hitting the ball first time could have had a more favourable outcome.

Full Time: Kettering Town 1  Spennymoor Town 2

A first home defeat for Paul Cox's side but a result that will have brought the side back down to earth. Again, the side started off second best and were fortunate not to be behind inside the first ten minutes.  As the game went on Kettering got onto level terms with the visitors but fell victim to a well worked goal but once again an opposition player found himself with time and space on the edge of Kettering's goal area just like against Fylde and Spalding. The team obviously took on board the managements team half time talk and the performance level of the second half was much improved. Once again, the team persisted with the aerial route when at a height disadvantage to the defenders rather than playing the ball on the floor from where successes were achieved.

Kettering Town yellow cards:   Davies, Ofosu, Dyche - fouls

Spennymoor Town yellow cards:  Chandler - handball             

Attendance: 695

Kettering Town Man-of-the-Match – Lamine Sherif – chosen by Northants Drainage Ltd.

Team Sheet

Location: Home (LATIMER PARK)
Kick Off: 25th Sep 2021
Kettering Town FC
0 Kyle Perry