Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Jordon Crawford 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Robbie Dale 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


A second minute goal from Kettering’s Callum Stead was cancelled out by Robbie Dale’s deflected free kick after 20 minutes. The Poppies regained the lead with Jordon Crawford’s deflected shot three minutes before the break, and successfully managed the game out in the second half, for three more points. It was again a match which was affected by a strong wind, making the game difficult for both sides. 


Skipper, Connor Kennedy was ruled out due to suspension, and Chris Smith had not recovered from injury. Loanee, Charlie McConnell had his first start, making four loanees in the back six players, with Connor Barrett reverting to the bench. Also on the bench after injury was Luke Ward.

The teams lined up:


1   Alex Mitchell

6   Jordan Watson (16 Cameron Painter,46)

8   Jordan Hickey

9   Dan Maguire

10 JJ O’Donnell (Captain)

11 Robbie Dale

15 Corey McKeown

17 Nicky Deverdics (19 Connor Thomson,75)

18 Toby Lees

24 Sado Djalo (14 Lewis McNall,81)

25 Patrick Almond

Unused substitutes:

4  Sean Reid

5  Nathan Buddle

Yellow Card: Lees,15



1  Jackson Smith

2  Kevin Joshua

3  Alex Brown 

4  Charlie O’Connell

5  Connor Johnson

6  George Cooper

7  Callum Stead   

9   Gary Stohrer (Captain)  

10 Jordan Crawford (16 Lauric Diakiesse,65)

11 Rhys Sharpe 

17 Decarrey Sheriff 

Unused Substitutes:

8   Saul Milovanovic

12 Connor Barrett

14 Luke Ward

15 Riccardo Calder

Yellow cards: None


Kettering were on the offensive with Jordan Crawford forcing a corner in the very first minute. From the kick, Decarrey Sheriff had a shot which was over the bar.

However, from the subsequent goal kick Kettering scored. Home keeper, Alex Mitchell, played the ball short to a defender and the alert Callum Stead robbed him of the ball and finished low past Mitchell 0-1 after just 90 seconds.

Kettering powered forward from the restart, winning the ball and, on the break, Sheriff fired wide. It had been an electric start for the Poppies, who broke away again on 6 minutes with Sheriff setting up Jordon Crawford, whose shot was blocked.

The wind was a factor, again, in this match, with it swirling across the pitch and a little in the home team’s favour. Kettering’s three quick forwards were giving the home defence something to ponder, and the Spartans had started slowly.

As the wind got up, both teams struggled to get any flow in their play and for a while neither keeper was troubled.

Blyth did, however, equalise in the 20th minute, with their first attempt on goal, through veteran, Robbie Dale. Dale hit a direct free kick from 25 yards, which cannoned high off the wall and swirled over Kettering keeper, Jackson Smith and in under the bar. How Smith managed to get across and get anything on the ball was incredible and he could just not keep it out. 1-1 20 minutes

Kettering had their own free kick from 25 yards, seven minutes later, but Rhys Sharpe’s left foot strike was over the bar. Blyth threatened the visitors’ goal a few minutes later, but Dan Maguire’s effort was well blocked.

The game was very bitty around the half hour mark, and a chance for a good cross for the Poppies was wasted by Sheriff as a corner was re-worked to him. Robbie Dale was becoming a positive influence for the home side and he began to control the game with some neat control and passing. He was getting through a great amount of work and his 34th minute shot was well saved by Smith.

Kettering responded immediately with an effort from Stead, which cleared the bar, after good work by George Cooper and Charlie O’Connell. O’Connell then followed this up by blocking another Dale shot. For Kettering Sheriff won a corner which was easily cleared.

Kettering could have scored on 39 minutes. Sheriff set up Crawford with a great chance and the left foot effort hit Mitchell in the face and he needed treatment.

Crawford was not to be denied as he scored Kettering’s second goal three minutes later. Coming in from the left his shot also cannoned off a defender to loop over Mitchell and into the net. 1-2 42 minutes

In added time Blyth’s Jordan Hickey fired a wild shot high over the bar.

Half Time:

BLYTH SPARTANS            1       -       2              KETTERING TOWN

Spartans made one immediate change at the start of the half with Cameron Painter replacing Jordan Watson. It was immediately clear that Blyth were going to adopt a passing game, with ball on the ground to counter some of the effects of the wind. Their play was slow and deliberate, and to counter this, the Poppies changed formation a little and were content to sit back and rely on the counter attack.

The Poppies threatened first, after a lack of goalmouth action, with Stead’s cross from the right finding no takers. Alex Brown got to the ball, though, on the left, and his cross was taken easily by Mitchell.

Kettering dropped back to a very defensive formation, and with Lauric Diakiesse replacing the limping Crawford, the substitute found himself as a lone striker. 

George Cooper cleared a dangerous cross from the right out for a fruitless corner as the home team tried to breach Kettering’s defence. Maguire fired a 60th minute shot from the right across goal and wide of the left upright.

Kettering were playing deeper and were content to manage the game. They had their breaks though and Brown’s 62nd minute shot was scrambled away from danger. Two minutes later the impressive Corey McKeown’s shot for Blyth was easy for Jackson Smith. Kettering were happy to concede possession and the defence was solid.

On 75 minutes the Poppies forced a free kick on the right as Stead was fouled. Rhys Sharpe’s in swinging cross was palmed over by Mitchell from under the bar for a corner. The same Kettering player took the corner and Mitchell just collected the ball on the line.

At the other end, Smith held two swirling crosses, giving his defence plenty of confidence as the Poppies continued to see the game out. The last 10 minutes plus 4 added minutes saw the Kettering deal with anything the home side had to offer. In fact Sheriff could have scored on 89 minutes as his left foot shot was blocked and he stabbed the rebound well wide with his right foot.

Full Time:

BLYTH SPARTANS            1        -      2            KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: David McNamara; Assistants: Michael Johnson; Matthew East

Attendance: 750    Poppies fans estimated at 75 )

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Callum Stead

Forthcoming HOME games:

Saturday February 19th: York City at 3pm

Tuesday February 22nd: AFC Telford United at 7.45pm

Saturday March 5th: Guiseley at 3pm

Forthcoming away games:

Saturday February 26th at  Boston United at 3pm

Saturday March 12th at Spennymoor Town at 3pm

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.



Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 12th Feb 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Jordon Crawford
0 Robbie Dale