Match Report - BOSTON UNITED

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Connor Johnson 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Pollock 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Ferggy 45
Sheils 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


Losing 1-0 to a 10th minute opening goal from Boston’s Scott Pollock, the Poppies stormed back to take the lead with goals from Callum Stead (above) after 12 minutes and Connor Johnson on 34 minutes to lead at half time. The Pilgrims came back strongly in the second half with goals from Keenan Ferguson on 66 minutes and the winner from Luke Shiels in the 81st minute. There was controversy in the second period with both Connor Johnson and Gary Stohrer sent off and also Paul Bastock and Joe Simpson sent off from the technical area.


There was one change to the starting line up, with Jordon Crawford starting and Gary Stohrer reverting to the bench. Chris Smith was also on the bench after injury, replacing George Herbert.

The teams lined up:


28 Marcus Dewhurst

3   Scott Duxbury

4   Tom Platt

5   Scott Garner

6   Luke Shiels (Captain)

12 Keenan Ferguson (18 Brad Abbott,85)

14 Danny Elliott

22 Joe Leesley

23 Shane Byrne

26 Scott Pollock

30 James Hanson (27 Ntumba Massanka,71)

Unused substitutes:

7   Andy Thanoj

21 Fraser Preston

31 Ben Sault

Yellow Card: Hanson,1st minute.



1  Jackson Smith

2  Connor Barrett

3  Alex Brown 

4  Jack Smith (9 Gary Stohrer,46)

5  Connor Johnson

6  George Cooper (12 Chris Smith,57)

7  Callum Stead (17 Decarrey Sheriff,85)    

10 Jordon Crawford 

11 Rhys Sharpe 

18 Ty Deacon

Unused Substitutes:

15   Charlie O’Connell

16   Saul Milovanovic

Yellow cards: 

Players: Johnson,45+3 and 77 = Red Card,77;Crawford,90+5. 

Management team: Bastock,90+4

Red Cards:

Players: Johnson,77; Stohrer 90+3;

Management Team: Bastock,90+4; Simpson 90+4.



Again there was a stiff breeze, which was behind Kettering in the first half. There was a very early yellow card for Boston’s James Hanson for a nasty foul on Kettering skipper, Connor Kennedy.

Boston keeper, Marcus Dewhurst was out to take a cross from Callum Stead, and having dropped the ball, he held at the second attempt. Boston had a decent chance on 7 minutes as Scott Duxbury’s cross from the right was met by Tom Platt’s head on the left and the ball flashed just past the right post.

Boston opened the scoring on 10 minutes. Hanson fed Danny Elliott on the left and his cross was firmly headed in by debutant Scott Pollock. Boston 1-0  10 minutes.

However Kettering equalised within two minutes. A poor clearance from Dewhirst was met by Callum Stead whose pace took him past the defence and he skilfully rounded Dewhurst to slide the ball in. 1-1 12 minutes

The Poppies followed this up with a neat move on the left involving Stead and Ty Deacon to set up Connor Barrett for a shot which was blocked out. Another few minutes saw Kettering again threaten but George Cooper’s header from Rhys Sharpe’s cross drifted wide.

Kettering keeper, Jackson Smith was down smartly to save Hanson’s low drive on 27 minutes, and again four minutes later, Smith excelled with a great save from Keenan Ferguson. The follow up shot from Shane Byrne hit the inside of the left upright and was cleared.

Boston’s Scott Duxbury was matching Kettering’s Rhys Sharpe for long throws into the six yard box- both creating some exciting moments, but it was evident that Duxbury’s front foot was on the pitch for every throw – and not spotted by the Assistant. The Referee was also annoying the home fans for some, quite frankly, questionable decisions.

Finally one of the log throws paid off – and it was for the visitors. Sharpe’s missile, wind assisted, was back headed by Connor Johnson over Dewhurst and under the bar to put Kettering in front. 1-2  Kettering 34 minutes.

Kettering could have scored again on 39 minutes. Dewhurst made a last ditch save to deny a second goal from Johnson . The ensuing melee saw Ty Deacon hit the bar from close range and the ball was cleared.

The Pilgrims countered and on 43 minutes, Jackson Smith comfortably held Pollock’s shot and then the keeper collected a cross from a free kick at the second attempt.

There was a final incident in the half which was extremely important in the context of the game. Stead did excellently on the right to get past his man and lay the ball back for a shot. There was a clear hand ball on the ground as a defender tried a block. The arm and hand were away from the body as his hand stopped the ball. Referee decision: no penalty. 

Half Time:

BOSTON UNITED        1           -         2            KETTERING TOWN

Now facing the wind, Kettering made an immediate substitution, with Gary Stohrer replacing loanee, Jack Smith.

The Poppies threatened first, on 48 minutes. Jordan Crawford picked Duxbury’s pocket and sent Stead away on the left. The shot flashed just past the right post with Dewhurst beaten.

Stead followed this up a few minutes later as he drifted in from the left and his right foot drive was deflected away for a fruitless corner.  Kettering’s second substitution followed as Chris Smith replaced the limping Cooper on 57 minutes.

Another Duxbury long throw found Tom Platt and his shot deflected over the bar, as Boston began to get to grips with the game. Shane Byrne’s low drive was narrowly wide on 65 minutes and two minutes later they equalised. Kettering  central defenders, Johnson and Chris Smith both misjudged the wind assisted ball down the middle and, as Smith crashed to the ground, Keenan Ferguson was left with an easy, but well taken low finish past Jackson Smith. 2-2 65 minutes

Kettering were being pressed back to defend as Boston looked for a winner. They did break out eventually though and Alex Brown’s run down the left saw his low cross go across goal with no Kettering player able to get a touch.

There was more controversy on 77 minutes as Connor Johnson received a second yellow card for alleged simulation. Home substitute, Ntumba Massanka and Johnson went for the ball and as Johnson went over in the penalty area, the referee adjudged simulation, issued a second yellow card and dismissed Johnson,much to the defender’s amazement.

Kettering’s ten men now had to re-organise and rely on breaks. One break on 79 minutes saw Stead race clear on the left and his shot was very well saved by Dewhurst.

Boston came back and keeper, Smith, saved very well from Elliott after good work by Joe Leesley. Leesley was in action again on 81 minutes as his measured corner found Luke Shiels at the far post, unmarked and his header was firm into the net to give the home side the lead. 3-2 Boston 81 minutes.

Decarrey Sheriff replaced the tiring Stead and with Kettering now running on empty it was proving hard to respond. However, out of nowhere, Jordon Crawford got down the left, cut inside, and his right foot curling shot beat Dewhirst and hit the underside of the bar. How the ball didn’t go in - who knows?

As the Poppies tried everything to get forward for the equaliser, substitute Gary Stohrer also received a red card as he hoofed the ball forward under a challenge. The live footage of this incident should need a review as it seemed the Referee was the only one to see anything wrong. Unfortunately tempers on the touchline were put to the limit with Assistant Manager, Paul Bastock receiving a yellow card and red card within seconds for comments to the Assistant and Referee, followed by a red card to Coach, Joe Simpson, for a comment to the Referee.

There was still time for Crawford to receive a yellow card for dissent and remarkably Tom Platt to head off the Boston line from a Kettering header in the 10th minute of 5 minutes added time as the Referee appeared to completely loose all control.

Full Time:

BOSTON UNITED         3           -        2           KETTERING TOWN


Match Officials: Referee: James Westgate; Assistants: Adrian George and Thomas Harvey

Attendance: 1959    (Poppies fans confirmed at 332 – Thanks to you all for your great support)

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Connor Johnson.


Forthcoming HOME games:

Saturday March 5th: Guiseley at 3pm

Tuesday March 22nd: Hereford at 7.45pm

Saturday March 26th: Chorley at 3pm

Forthcoming away games:

Saturday March 12th at Spennymoor Town at 3pm

Saturday March 19th at Chester City at 3pm

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.


Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 26th Feb 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Connor Johnson

0 Pollock
0 Ferggy
0 Sheils