Match Report - CHESTER

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Sargent 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Dackers 45
Dackers 45
Waters 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The Poppies fell to their heaviest league defeat of the season today at Chester. A substantially under strength squad was well beaten 4-0 at the Deva Stadium. A goal down in just the first minute, the visitors had decent possession for the rest of the half but went in at the break that goal down. The second half saw yet another early goal conceded and two more goals in the 63rd and 67th minutes sealed their fate.


With four players ruled out with either injury or suspension, only four players could be named on the bench including unfit goalkeeper, Rhys Davies and the other three had very little or no first team experience. Decarrey Sheriff was brought into the starting eleven, replacing the suspended Connor Kennedy. A couple of the starting eleven were also nursing injury.

The teams lined up:


1    Louis Gray

2    Kevin Roberts (Captain) (28 Matty Waters,49)

4    Declan Weeks

5    Danny Livesey (26 Dan Griffiths,76)

6    David Fitzpatrick

11  Darren Stephenson

12  Matt Sargent

14 Harrison Burke

18 Matty Williams (3 Simon Grand,58)

20 Marcus Dackers

33 Rowan Roach

Unused substitutes:

13 Will Stanway

25 Okera Simmonds

Yellow Card: Livesey,74.



1  Jackson Smith

2  Connor Barrett (15 Jack Empson,89)

3  Alex Brown 

4  Jack Smith 

5  Liam Daly

6  Chris Smith 

7  Callum Stead (12 George Herbert,85)

9  Ty Deacon (14 Saul Milovanovic,69)   

10 Jordan Crawford 

11 Rhys Sharpe (Captain)

17 Decarrey Sheriff

23 Liam Daly

Unused Substitutes:

13  Rhys Davies

Yellow cards: Deacon,65; Sheriff,90+3



It was a glorious day and Kettering kicked off on a heavily sanded and watered pitch with a stiff breeze at their backs. They started with four at the back with Jordan Crawford dropping back from the forward line to supplement the midfield.

Yet again the Poppies conceded an early goal-this time with barely a minute on the clock. Darren Stephenson on the left showed great footwork to set up a cross which was not dealt with and Chester new signing, Matt Sargent, swept the ball in with his left foot from 12 yards.

Kettering had an immediate chance to equalise just 90 seconds later. A header on into the penalty area saw Decarrey Sheriff get clear of the defence for what looked like an easy finish- but he failed to get a good contact on the ball a few yards out.

Kettering saw no return from a couple of Rhys Sharpe long throws into the six-yard box and a Jack Smith corner from the right as they tried to find a goal. The dangerous Stephenson then stormed through from midfield but his ball forward was too far ahead and keeper, Jackson Smith, collected.

As the game settled Kettering had plenty of possession, with corners won and crosses all dealt with by the home defence. There were a number of questionable refereeing decisions- for both sides- and the game was very stop/start.

On 27 minutes an unnecessary corner conceded saw the home team threaten a second goal but the ball was hacked away. Chester looked good on the break and Stephenson caused more panic and a wild clearance from the visiting defence cannoned off an attacker and away for a goal kick. Again, some last ditch defending prevented Harrison Burke from bursting through.

On 37 minutes Jackson Smith saved another Sargant shot before Kettering had a little spell with two Jordan Crawford shots blocked and Sheriff almost getting to a Sharpe cross as the home defence conceded a corner.

Just before the break Kettering had some good moments. Alex Brown crosses low for Sheriff but the striker’s shot went out the ground. Then Callum Stead’s header was easy for home keeper, Louis Gray, who spilled the ball – but no Kettering player was there to take advantage. Finally in the half a long throw found its way to Stead who hooked the ball at goal and Gray saved under the bar.

Half Time:

CHESTER         1           -        0           KETTERING TOWN

The Kettering formation changed at the break with Rhys Sharpe dropping into a back three.

Within seconds of the restart, Jack Smith was on a quick break but overran the ball. Then Alex Brown’s shot was an easy one for Gray to save. But out of nowhere Chester scored again on 48 minutes. Declan Weeks had plenty of time and space to get a low shot in from 20 yards which squirmed underneath Jackson Smith’s dive.

Another home break saw Sargent’s low shot go straight at Jackson Smith. Kettering replied as Stead was fouled, but Sharpe’s free kick from the left was well defended. Another Kettering free kick into the penalty area saw Chris Smith over in the penalty area but there was no possibility of a penalty.

The Poppies imploded in a four-minute spell just after the hour mark. Firstly on 63 minutes a free kick from the right found the lofty Marcus Dackers completely unmarked, who had the simple task of heading in. Secondly, just four minutes later,

Sheriff was penalised for a questionable foul and home substitute, Matty Waters curled a 20-yard left foot free kick past Jackson Smith.

Kettering were beaten and Sharpe’s 70th minute corner was headed wide by Liam Daly. Four minutes later Jack Smith’s direct free kick cannoned off the left upright and Daly somehow lobbed the loose ball over the bar from a few yards out. Then Sheriff fired over the bar.

For Chester, Weeks’ rocket was held by Jackson Smith and the again unmarked Dackers had the ball in the net again, but the effort was disallowed for a foul. 

The Poppies had a final flurry as Stead met Crawford’s cross and went down in the penalty area for no reward and Alex Brown saw an injury time shot deflected wide.

Special mention to the 100 or so Kettering fans, who never stopped in their vocal support for the team.

Full Time:

CHESTER          4          -        0           KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: Simeon Lucas; Assistants: Neil Evans and Joe Cunningham

Attendance: 1796  (Poppies fans estimated at 100 )

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Alex Brown

Forthcoming HOME games:

Tuesday March 22nd: Hereford at 7.45pm

Saturday March 26th: Chorley at 3pm

Tuesday April 5th: York City at 7.45pm

Tuesday April 12th: Guiseley at 7.45pm

Friday April 15th (Good Friday) Gloucester City at 7.45pm

Forthcoming away games:

Saturday April 2nd: Southport at 3pm

Saturday April 9th: Farsley Celtic at 3pm

Monday April 18th (Easter Monday) Kidderminster Harriers at 3pm

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.

Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 19th Mar 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Sargent
0 Dackers
0 Dackers
0 Waters