Match Report - AFC FYLDE

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


Another play-off team played and another point gained. It was a gritty performance today at AFC Fylde by an organised Kettering team that fought to a man for the ninety-five minutes played. The home side had plenty of possession but resolute defending and another competent display by Jackson Smith, saw a clean sheet achieved. The home side had by far the greater possession and goal attempts, but probably the best chance fell to Kettering’s Callum Stead in the first half as home keeper Bobby Jones made an excellent save.


Rhys Sharpe was on the bench and Decarrey Sheriff started. Liam Daly was back on the substitutes bench with Saul Milovanovic omitted. 

The teams lined up:


21    Bobby Jones

15    Kyle Morrison

28    Harry Davis

6      Alex Whitmore (Captain)

3      Luke Conlan

20    Tom Walker

8      Danny Philliskirk

31    Danny Whitehead (17 David Perkins,70)

33    Douglas Taylor (29 Jorome Slew,70)

11    Sam Osborne

10    Nick Haughton (22 Stephen Dobbie,84)

Unused substitutes:

2    Luke Burke

5    Emeka Obi

Yellow Cards: None



1   Jackson Smith

2   Connor Barrett (4 Jack Smith,84)

3   Alex Brown 

5   Connor Johnson

6   George  Cooper 

7   Callum Stead (19 Ty Deacon,72) 

8   Connor Kennedy (Captain)

9   Gary Stohrer    

10 Jordon Crawford  

17 Decarrey Sheriff (11 Rhys Sharpe,72)

20 Chris Smith

Unused Substitutes:

13  Rhys Davies

23  Liam Daly

Yellow cards: Kennedy,19;Johnson,43;Brown,52


Whilst the game started in pleasant sunshine, the weather became more overcast as the game progressed, and the second half saw some light rain falling on an already well watered surface.

The Coasters full time team started very brightly and in just the 4th minute, Tom Walker drifted inside from the right, and his low left foot shot must have been deflected into the side netting as a corner was given. Kettering’s first corner two minutes later saw possession lost, followed by a swift break by the home side, and a timely tackle by Connor Kennedy snuffed out the danger. 

It was then Kettering’s turn to break smartly and a move involving Kennedy,Decarrey Sheriff, and Jordon Crawford was broken up by Luke Conlan.

Fylde nearly scored in the 10th minute. A cross from the left from Danny Whitehead saw Walker flick the ball forward but the effort drifted wide of the right post. It was a great chance missed.

Fylde were putting in some robust tackles as they tried to maintain possession, all of which were deemed legal by the officials. Fylde kept coming forward playing some neat football which allowed shots from Whitehead – wide from 25 yards, Nick Haughton - also 25 yards but easy for Jackson Smith, and another Haughton effort saved easily by Jackson Smith.Alex Brown also got in a crucial block on an accurate shot.

It was somewhat ironic that the first yellow card of the game on 19 minutes was given to Kettering skipper, Connor Kennedy, for a challenge similar to a few handed out by the home team which went unpunished. From the resultant free kick, the defensive wall blocked Haughton’s shot.

Haughton was in action just a minute later as he forced Jackson Smith into a save. The keeper spilled the shot, to then make two more immediate saves from the loose ball. It was great instinctive goalkeeping.

The custodian was in action again just minutes later as he gathered Walker’s low cross – and in the next attack, Walker fired wide.

The Poppies seemed to weather the storm and Decarrey Sheriff saw his cross taken well by home keeper, Bobby Jones. Better was to follow for the visitors though as a good move and then good feet from Callum Stead saw him create a shooting opportunity. His low,curling left foot shot was palmed away by Jones, diving to his right.

Kettering began to hold their own a bit more around the half hour mark with Connor Barrett getting more forward and winning an unproductive corner. Then at the other end Jackson Smith was again alert to smother the ball at the feet of Conlan.

Haughton showed his class on 34 minutes, as his clever flick released Sam Osborne for a low shot which Smith saved. Four minutes later, Sheriff saw an opening in the Fylde penalty area and his low cross bounced off Jones and bouncing up and across goal,it was hastily cleared.

Chris Smith was in the right place to clear a dangerous Osborne cross and, at the other end, a decent move involving Barrett and Sheriff saw Kennedy miscue the shot which was high and wide.

On 43 minutes,Connor Johnson became the second Kettering player to be cautioned as he went into a challenge, just after a home player handled the ball on the ground.Protests were ignored by the Referee.

Jackson Smith saw a shot into the side netting and the final action of the half saw him save Osborne’s left foot shot.

Half Time:

AFC FYLDE         0        -      0             KETTERING TOWN

There were no personnel changes at the break. 

Kettering’s Crawford saw an early charge into the home penalty area give him a shooting chance but it was a routine save for Jones.

Alex Brown became the third name in the Referee’s notebook on 52 minutes and from the resultant free kick, Haughton’s effort was pushed wide by Smith. A couple of minutes later the Poppies were indebted to Connor Johnson who made a fantastic saving header as Fylde looked certain to score.

The next threat was again from Fylde as Douglas Taylor’s run allowed Osborne to thread a ball across goal from the left but Haughton could just not reach it.

As the game moved into the last third, Kettering were being pinned back into defence, with, at times, eleven men behind the ball and any clearances were just coming back at  them.

Both team made two substitutions as the game moved into the last quarter. For Fylde, the experienced David Perkins replaced Whitehead and Jorome Slew replaced Taylor. Kettering brought on Rhys Sharpe and Ty Deacon, replacing Sheriff and Stead.

The pitch was now pretty slippery and on a few occasions Kettering players lost their footing. 

With Rhys Sharpe on the field, Kettering tried their first long throw into the penalty area in the 73rd minute. It resulted in Fylde winning the ball and breaking away. This created a great opening for Tom Walker, but inexplicably and fortunately for Kettering, he had drifted offside.

More great play by Fylde’s Osborne saw Smith save at his near post. At the other end Sharpe’s shot was deflected wide.

As Fylde began to run out of ideas, Haughton’s last shot of the game was an easy save for Jackson Smith. Then a Kettering attack was thwarted, allowing a fast break with some accurate passing, but home substitute Stephen Dobbie, on for Haughton, shot wildly over the bar.

The visitors nullified any further, late attacks to claim a very creditable point, as the game ended goalless.

Full Time:

AFC FYLDE         0         -       0            KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: Michael Crusham; Assistants: Micheal Johnson; Mark Ryder

Attendance: 1026 (Poppies fans estimated at 100 - who made the only real noise on the terraces.)

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Jackson Smith

Remaining season HOME league game:

Bank Holiday Monday, May 2nd: Alfreton at 3pm

Remaining season away league game:

Saturday May 7th at Curzon Ashton at 3pm


Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.


Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 30th Apr 2022
Kettering Town FC