Match Report - CURZON ASHTON

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Hooper 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 1


Decarrey Sheriff 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The Poppies fell just short of their play off aspirations today, as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Curzon Ashton. In reality, the home side dominated most of the game, and were unfortunate not to go in at half time with a lead, as they had the better of possession and goal chances. They got their rewards after just 7 minutes of the second half, when Jordan Richards put them in front. 

Kettering then made three substitutions, altered the shape, and went for the goals leaving them exposed at the back. The Nash had further chances to score, but Kettering battled, as ever, and did find a last minute injury time equaliser through substitute, Decarrey Sheriff- but there was no time to go for the win. 


The line up and substitutes bench was unchanged following last Monday’s game.

The teams lined up:


1    Christopher Renshaw

2    Matthew Challoner

4    Marcus Poscha

10  Alex Curran (8 Dale Whitham,90+1)

11  Thomas Peers

12  Connor Dimaio

15  Scott Wilson

16  Jordan Lussey (27 Joseph Nolan,78)

17  Jordan Richards

21  Craig Mahon (Captain) (17 Craig Hobson,83)

22  Adam Barton

Unused substitutes:

4    Matthew Rain

31  Charlie Gladwin  

Yellow Cards: Barton,45+2; Dimaio,77



1    Jackson Smith

2    Connor Barrett 

3    Alex Brown 

5    Connor Johnson

6    George  Cooper 

7    Callum Stead (23 Ty Deacon,66)

8    Connor Kennedy (Captain)

9    Gary Stohrer    

10  Jordon Crawford  

11  Rhys Sharpe (23 Liam Daley,66)

20  Chris Smith (17 Decarrey Sheriff,58)

Unused Substitutes:

13   Rhys Davies

14   Jackson Smith 

Yellow cards: Kennedy,4; Johnson,69; Cooper,90+3; Crawford,90+4.


It was a pleasant, sunny day in Tameside and the pitch looked good and was being heavily watered prior to kick off. A first minute Rhys Sharpe free kick was held by home keeper, Chris Renshaw and in only the 4th minute, Connor Kennedy was yellow carded for contact with a home player off the ball.

The home side had a corner on 8 minutes which cannoned off a defender and fell to visiting keeper, Jackson Smith.  The Nash were playing some attractive football but Kettering came near to scoring on 11 minutes. Sharpe’s free kick into the six yard box was partly cleared to Callum Stead. His low shot was well palmed away by Renshaw, diving to his left.

Home striker, Alex Curran, then broke away down the left and Alex Brown did well to clear the cross. Curzon stepped up the pressure and on 19 minutes could have taken the lead. Jordan Richards’ initial free kick was cleared only for the ball to be recycled back into the danger area for Richards to head the cross well wide.

There was a half chance for Kettering’s Stead as he pounced on a defensive error, but excellent defending snuffed out the chance. Curzon then won a corner on 26 minutes,which Jackson Smith conceded unnecessarily. From the restart, Alex Brown threw himself into a great block on Richards’ shot. 

Under more pressure, the Poppies conceded another free kick with a foul by Chris Smith, and from the cross Scott Wilson had a clear header and great chance, but his header was well over.

Kettering’s Stead threatened again just before the half hour mark but Marcus Poscha made a timely clearance. 

Curzon took virtually total control in the last 15 minutes of the half with almost total possession. Thomas Peers created a chance for Curran but the striker fired over from a good position. Then Richards fired over the bar a direct free kick from 19 yards.

Peers was soon clear to the left side of the penalty area but, well closed down by Jackson Smith, he couldn’t get a shot in. 

The final action of the half saw Adam Barton cautioned for a nasty looking tackle on Kennedy. 

Half Time:

CURZON ASHTON        0        -      0            KETTERING TOWN

With no changes for either side, Curzon started the second half as they had finished the first. Matthew Challoner got clear down the right and, with a good chance to cross into the danger area, he overhit the ball. On 48 minutes Peers had the ball in Kettering’s net- but the effort was ruled out for offside.

The Poppies responded with a Sharpe corner which glanced off Kennedy’s head for a goal kick. Curzon’s overall pressure produced their goal on 52 minutes.  There was plenty of space on the Kettering left as Peers put Richards clear and he made no mistake with a low shot, in off the right post.

The home side continued to control the game, and Kettering made their first substitution in the 58th minute as Decarrey Sheriff replaced the sacrificed Chris Smith, to put a third striker as the back five became four.

Kettering’s first long throw into the penalty area saw Sharpe’s 61st minute missile easily cleared. A further two substitutions saw Liam Daly and Ty Deacon replace Stead and Sharpe.There were now four forwards including Daly up top in a 4-2-4 formation as the Poppies tied to get something from the game.

With Kettering understandably pushing forward there were gaps at the back allowing the home side some good breakaways. On 69 minute a George Cooper misjudgement gave Curzon a great chance but Connor Johnson came from nowhere to make a staggering block, as the shot looped up to Jackson Smith. Johnson was yellow carded a minute later for an awkward tackle which will mean another suspension eventually.

Keeper, Smith, was soon in action again getting his fingers on a cross, then taking a low cross from Challoner and saving low from a poked Peers’ effort.

For Kettering, a direct free kick on the edge of the area saw Kennedy’s effort hit the base of the defensive wall. Sheriff was coming in for some rough, and not exactly legal, interventions from Challoner, which somehow escaped the Referee’s notice, as the substitute striker got himself into the game.

Kettering had a great chance to score on 81 minutes. Brown’s cross was cleared as far as Kennedy, centrally, at the edge of the penalty area. Unchallenged, Kennedy’s shot was well over the bar.

The Poppies were really pushing for a goal with the four forwards and an 85th minute free kick came off George Cooper for Renshaw to smother before any Kettering player could react.

Into added time, a run and cross from Kennedy found Renshaw. Then Cooper’s shot was blocked away and the follow up shot from Crawford may have hit an arm but there was no penalty.

Kettering did find some consolation with a headed goal from Sheriff after Daly headed on a cross. With time expired there was no time to add to the scoring. A disappointed team acknowledged the efforts of the large Kettering following.

Full Time:

CURZON ASHTON      1        -         1          KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: Richard Aspinall; Assistants: Andrew Daniels;Alexander Beckett

Attendance: Not yet announced!

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Connor Johnson

Next Season’s League Fixtures start on Saturday 5th August. Thank you for your support this season.

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.


Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 07th May 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Decarrey Sheriff
0 Hooper