Match Report - Gloucester City

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Gloucester City: 2


Ollie Hulbert 00
Ollie Hulbert 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Gloucester City: 3


Max Sheaf 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


Kettering were well beaten at New Meadow Park this afternoon as Gloucester City ended up comfortable 3-0 winners to progress to the next round of the Buildbase F A Trophy. On loan scoring sensation, Ollie Hulbert, scored twice to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead after just 21 minutes, and despite a red card reducing them to 10 men in the 47th minute, Gloucester extended their lead with a 55th minute goal from Max Sheaf. Kettering failed to test home keeper Jake Cole once in the 90 minutes.


With Gerry McDonagh not released by his parent Club, Isaac Stones returned after injury in the only change to the starting line up. Jackson Smith and Alex Brown were added to the 7 man substitutes bench.

The teams lined up:


1   Jake Cole

12 Daniel Leadbitter

16 Ryan Galvin   

3   Ben Gerring

24 Ben Nugent

14 Tommy O’Sullivan

18 Max Sheaf

7   Kevin Dawson (Captain)

17 Lucas Tomlinson (4 Tom Harrison,48)

8   Oliver Hulbert (9 Dejon Noel-Williams,79)

10 Matt McClure

Unused substitutes:

11 Bernard Mensah

20 Jordan Young

21 Liam Armstrong

Yellow Cards: None

Red Card: Gerring (47 minutes)



1  Rhys Davies

2  Connor Barrett (14 Gary Stohrer,46)

3  Rhys Sharpe

4  Luke O’Neill 

5  Connor Johnson 

6  Chris Smith 

7  Callum Powell 

8  Connor Kennedy (Captain) 

9  Isaac Stones (24 Kyle Perry,46)

10 Lamine Sherif (16 Claudio Ofosu,46)

11 Harrison Neal

Unused Substitutes:

12 Jordon Crawford

13 Jackson Smith

15 Luke Ward

17 Alex Brown

Yellow card: Johnson,74


As forecast, it was a bitterly cold afternoon with strong winds which favoured the home team in the first period.

The Poppies fashioned the first chance in the early minutes, but Lamine Sherif mis-kicked in front of goal after meeting Harrison Neal’s free kick at the penalty spot.

Gloucester took the lead after just 6 minutes. A long ball down the right found Matt McClure, who advanced and fired a right foot shot which cannoned off of the left upright. Ollie Hulbert was in the right place to collect the rebound and fire into the net.

Five minutes later Hulbert should have scored again as he was put clear, but his shot went just wide of the left upright with Rhys Davies beaten.Kettering tried to respond and Connor Barrett’s pass forward found Callum Powell, but the shot was blocked away for a fruitless corner. Isaac Stones was then favourite to win a one-on-one chase with home keeper, Jake Cole, but the young striker lost his way and Cole was able to hack clear.

Stones then had a 19th minute chance running through but hesitation gave the defence the chance to block his left foot shot. Kettering were to pay dearly for this miss as, two minutes later, a great crossfield ball to the right found Hulbert who raced away to fire his, and City’s, second goal. Davies got something on the shot but could not prevent the goal.

Gloucester continued to dominate with their passing game, and on 26 minutes, Lucas Tomlinson fired wide from 25 yards after a good build up. In a rare Kettering attack, Stones put a cross in from the right and with only a partial clearance to Rhys Sharpe, he scuffed his left foot shot. Sharpe then got in an excellent run and low cross from the left, which was well dealt with by the home defence.

Gloucester finished the first half with a flourish as Dan Leadbitter’s dangerous cross from the right just evaded any team mates and Matt McClure fired a wild 45th minute left foot shot over the goal.

Half Time:

GLOUCESTER CITY         2          -         0             KETTERING TOWN

Kettering made three immediate substitutions with Gary Stohrer,Kyle Perry and Claudio Ofosu replacing Connor Barrett,Lamine Sherif and Isaac Stones. Perry made an immediate impact as ex Poppy Ben Gerring was red carded on 47 minutes for an off the ball incident involving Perry.

Callum Powell had a shot blocked as the Poppies looked to take advantage over the 10 men, and Tom Harrison was brought on at the back for City with Tomlinson sacrificed.

Jake Cole got a good punch on a Harrison Neal corner to relieve any immediate pressure and a subsequent flowing City move saw home skipper Kevin Dawson slice his cross out for a goal kick.

Kettering’s fate was effectively sealed on 55 minutes as Gloucester scored a third goal. Space was worked on the right for McClure to cross. The visiting defence got in a mess, failed to clear, and Max Sheaf was able to hook the ball in from close range.

Kettering tried to respond and Gary Stohrer saw a shot blocked away, and only a last-ditch tackle by Ben Nugent prevented Callum Powell from scoring as he chased a long high ball.

On 65 minutes the Poppies could have scored as Connor Kennedy met a Sharpe corner from the right- but the header was over the bar. City then had a chance from a worked free kick but the shot was deflected wide.

The excellent Dan Leadbitter then cushioned a 75th minute neat header back to Cole under pressure from Claudio Ofosu, to snuff out the chance. Kettering were huffing and puffing with little effect at this juncture, albeit that Chris Smith met a Neal corner – but the header sailed well wide.

It could have been worse for the Poppies but for Connor Johnson (who had previously been yellow carded) as he had to get his timing right to dispossess substitute Dejon Noel- Williams, who was going clear on goal.

It was the 84th minute before Cole faced any real danger, but Powell could only glance Stohrer’s cross off his knee as it looped to the keeper. Kettering’s day was summed up as Powell’s accurate last-minute shot on goal came off a Kettering player as out for a goal kick.

Full Time:

GLOUCESTER CITY          3          -        0             KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: Dale Wotton.  Assistants: Alan Berrow; David Nicholson

Attendance: 271   (Poppies fans estimated at 60)

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Not awarded

Next HOME game:

Saturday December 4th HOME to Boston United at 3pm

Remaining November game:

Tuesday November 30th away at Hereford at 7.45pm

Other December games:

Saturday 11th away at AFC Telford United at 3pm

Tuesday 14th away at Leamington at 7.45pm

Tuesday 21st HOME to Southport at 7.45pm

Sunday  26th ( Boxing Day) away at Brackley at 3pm

Tuesday 28th (Bank Holiday) HOME to Kidderminster Harriers at 3pm

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.


Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 27th Nov 2021
Kettering Town FC
Gloucester City
0 Ollie Hulbert
0 Ollie Hulbert
0 Max Sheaf