Match Report - YORK CITY

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Connor Kennedy 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report

Kettering Town v York City

Vanarama National League North

Tuesday 5th April 2022   7:45pm


Kettering Town 

York City


 Jackson Smith



 Pete Jameson



 Connor Barrett



 Sam Sanders         



 Alex Brown



 Scott Barrow           

 Off 81


 Jack Smith



 Maxim Kouogun           



 Connor Johnson



 Matty Brown (Capt)  



 George Cooper



 Akil Wright



 Callum Stead



 Paddy McLaughlin



 Connor Kennedy (Capt)



 Olly Dyson              



 Gary Stohrer



 Maz Kouhyar

 Off 65


 Jordon Crawford

  Off 76


 Lennell John-Lewis



 Liam Daly



 Kurt Willoughby















 Ty Deacon



 Mason Campbell       



 Rhys Davies



 Kingsley James



 Chris Smith



 Remy Longdon



 Saul Milovanovic



 Jack McKay

 On 81


 Decarrey Sheriff

  On 76


 Clayton Donaldson

 On 65


Referee: Matt Corlett        Assistants:  Sam Wesson and Karl Donaghey

After Saturday's hard earned win away against seventh placed Southport, Kettering faced their third play-off contender in a row. York City currently lying sixth in the table their performance could depend on how the team reacts to their FA Trophy defeat at the weekend.  Kettering would be looking to complete their second double in four days having won at the LNER stadium back in November.

Kettering would be assisted in their task by the return of Connor Kennedy from suspension following his dismissal at Spennymoor. He would go straight into the starting line-up replacing the injured Rhys Sharpe who picked up a knock in injury time at Southport. Also returning to the starting XI was George Cooper in a straight swap with Chris Smith. Another personnel swap was Jordon Crawford for Decarrey Sheriff, who ran his socks off on Saturday. The final change was Jack Smith for Ty Deacon which had the effect of allowing Callum Stead to be utilised in a more attacking role than at the weekend. The bench was completed by Saul Milovanovic and Rhys Davies.

With perfect weather conditions and the pitch looking in good condition Kettering, in all red, kicked off with York in all white strip with a claret overprint on their shirt front defending the new stand end. Kettering were fast out of the blocks and won a throw-in deep inside York territory.  For all the height within the York central defenders the long throw-in from Alex Brown into the penalty box was not effectively dealt with and a defender was forced to concede a corner within the first two minutes. The resulting corner was effectively dealt with by the defence and initiated a counter-attack which was quickly shut down by Kettering. Three minutes later a long ball deep down the right-wing saw Matty Brown collect the ball but Jordon Crawford sprinted towards him and closed him down harrying the defender enough to force him to concede a throw-in. Alex Brown delivered another throw-in into the heart of the York defence from an almost identical spot to the first and once again the defence looked suspect failing to prevent the ball being nodded on. The ball fell to Connor Kennedy who contorted his body to keep his shot low and into the corner of the goal from six yards out. 1-0 Kettering 5 mins.

Three minutes after the goal it was more of the same from the host's and a third Brown throw had to be but behind for another Kettering corner but it was unproductive.

Just over ten minutes into the half York were starting to string a few passes together down Kettering's left. Alex Brown broke up the move and the ball fell to Connor Johnson who played the ball forward to the feet of Crawford who was closely covered by Maxim Kouogun. Jordon  refused to be forced off the ball by the vastly taller defender and tenaciously fended off the physical challenge before sending the ball out wide into the path of Connor Barrett who carried the ball forward to the edge of the penalty area as defenders closed him down, but not before he could thread the ball back across the box to the feet of Callum Stead who found himself with his back to the goal some ten yards out. He took a couple of touches to control the ball before pivoting and thereby creating space for himself to pick his spot and send his shot low into the corner giving Jameson no chance. 2-0 Kettering 12 mins.

Shortly before the quarter hour mark Stead once again showed his ball control skills running onto a ball played into the open side corner. The ball took an awkward bounce but Callum was equal to it controlling the ball nicely and then set about teasing the defender in front of him before feeding the ball back to Barrett who had come up into support. Connor lifted the ball into the middle where it was collected by Kennedy who teed up Jack Smith for a shot from the edge of the area. The shot went into the ground then appeared to take a deflection of a defender on the way through and just evaded the lurking Crawford looking to latch onto it before going out for another Kettering corner. York defended the corner well and set up a quick counter-attack. Barrett and Brown left back to cover such eventualities set about delaying the thrust forward. Outnumbered, they were unable to cover the three forward and the York player in possession chose the right option picking out his open team-mate. George Cooper, however had sprinted back to cover and produced a great covering tackle to quench the threat to Jackson Smith's goal.

The game then settled into a quieter period with neither side able to generate any meaningful attack. Twenty-five minutes into the game and Mr Corlett produced his first yellow card. York played the ball down Kettering's left towards Kouhyar. He was faced by Jack Smith and as he made to go by the youngster Jack unwisely stabbed a foot forward a non-defenders tackle attempt and the experienced forward accepted the gift and went to the floor. It was a clear free-kick but a booking seemed harsh for a first offence compared to an earlier foul on Brown which warranted no additional sanction. The free kick was situated some five yards outside the penalty area and five yards from the by-line. The kick was floated into box and met by Maxim Kouogun who presented with virtually a free header appeared to just led the ball bounce off his head and float harmlessly over the bar.

Just before the half-hour mark a long ball forward from Cooper was mis controlled by Akil Wright on the edge of the York penalty area. His heavy touch allowed the ball to run to Crawford who darted forward eager to take advantage. As defenders closed on him, he hit a low shot which bounced just before reaching Jameson causing the keeper to look unconvincing as the ball struck his chest and was grabbed at the second attempt.  A couple of minutes later Kouogun who was having trouble containing the dynamic Crawford once again resorted to grappling in an attempt to physically overpower Jordon but Mr Corlett wasn't having any of it and cautioned the York defender.

With ten minutes left in the half York probed forward down Kettering's right with the ball being worked forwards to Willoughby who tumbled to the floor after colliding with Stohrer giving the visitors a free-kick some ten yards outside Kettering's penalty area in a central position. Willoughby took the kick himself going for goal but the ball arrived at Smith at head height and Jackson made the save look routine at the expense of a corner. More impressive was Smith's punch under immense pressure from York players it was high and strong landing some ten yards outside the penalty area where Stohrer sent the ball forward for a rapid counter-attack through Crawford. With two red shirts racing up the middle Scott Barrow who'd stayed back did well to cover and relieve the pressure at the expense of a throw-in.

The final five minutes caused a flurry of action at both ends. Firstly, the ball went out for a throw-in on the open side. The York defenders expecting a Brown long throw were lackadaisical in facing up and were caught out when Barrett took the throw quickly to Stead who looped a cross towards  the back post to an unmarked Crawford who didn't make the best contact with the ball but still sent the ball goalwards bringing out a good stop from Jameson. Shortly after Crawford turned provider latching onto a ball played into the corner. With nothing looking to be on he held up the ball long enough for support to arrive in the form of Brown. Jordan sent the ball to his feet and it looked as if he was shaping up to shoot but as it was on his right foot he did a reverse pass to Kennedy who his a speculative shot from twenty yards which drifted high and wide.

The final action of the half saw York's best chance of pulling a goal back. An attempted clearance of a York lob into the penalty area by Kennedy struck a York player and looped up over Connor's head and into the goalmouth. Liam Daly facing his own goal was caught between two stools hoping to shield the ball out for a goal kick unwilling to risk an own goal or be penalised for a back pass back to Smith but the bounce beat Liam who lost his footing and went to ground allowing John-Lewis to stab the ball goalwards. Jackson Smith was there though and making himself big managed to block the ball away but only to Barrow but his follow-up effort only found the side netting.

 Half Time: Kettering Town 2  York City 0

York were out early for the second half with the words of their manager no doubt ringing in their ear's, as they waited for the match officials and Kettering to join them. However, it was Kettering who started the second half in the same manner as the first and were immediately onto the attack winning a corner two minutes into the half. Two minutes later Kennedy ran past his marker and sent a low shot across the face of the goal just curling away at the last moment from going into the bottom corner with the keeper looking beaten. Kettering kept the pressure up and a couple of minutes later a ball out of defence was chested down by Stead back to Kennedy who seeing that Callum had turned to run down the flank looped the ball up and into his path. Callum took the ball in his stride and advanced menacingly towards the York goal. Faced with Kouogun Stead turned him one way and then the other before cutting inside of the defender before firing in a sharp shot which passed over the bar by a matter of inches.

On the hour mark York were on the attack with Barrow making a good overlap down Kettering's right  sending a looping cross into the goalmouth. It was met by a Kettering head but the clearance was not substantive and the ball broke to John-Lewis but at waist height. He did well to get a meaningful contact on the ball but it passed the post by a foot or more. Five minutes later York made their first substitution after sixty-five minutes with Clayton Donaldson replacing Maz Kouhyar.

With just under fifteen minutes of regulation time left Kettering made a substitution with a like for like swap of Decarrey Sheriff replacing Jordon Crawford. Five minutes later and York's growing frustration materialised when John-Lewis caught Alex Brown late to earn himself a booking. York used the stoppage whilst Brown received treatment to make their second substitution with Scott Barrow being withdrawn in favour of Jack McKay.

With time ebbing away York were doing most of the attacking with some good passing approach work but the final touch was missing being denied by stout Kettering defending. During this time Donaldson picks up a booking for dissent when arguing a goal-kick decision by the referee claiming a corner. With less than ten minutes to go Kettering made a quick break from defence with Stohrer picking out the fresh legs of Sheriff on the half-way line. Decarrey played the simple ball back into the path of the untiring Stead who carried the ball deep into the York half before slipping the ball into space in the York penalty area for Sheriff to run onto but he was in no position to have a shot but did well to win a corner of the defender to further run the clock down.

York finished with a flourish with successive corners in the final five minutes but at no time was the Kettering goal threatened. Kettering might have topped the game off with a third goal when a rare Kettering attack was broken down with a huge clearance from a defender it was met by Connor Johnson who sent a similar ball back. It was looking to land inside York's penalty area and Jameson came to collect but for some reason his chose not to catch the ball probably looking to recycle it quickly. However, he misjudged the flight completely and the ball bounced off his chest to Stead who gobbled up the loose ball and made to round the keeper. Jameson made an attempt to win the ball back with his feet after pushing Stead in the back. Contact may have been made but fatigue may have played a part in Callum going down and no penalty was awarded.  Kettering saw out the four additional minutes to secure a well deserved win.

 Full Time: Kettering Town 2  York City 0

It was a pleasant change for Kettering to score the early goal at Latimer Park rather than gifting a goal to the visitors. Kettering continued to apply the pressure and were rewarded by a second in a fine passing move to double their advantage. York for all their experience looked somewhat shell-shocked taking well into the first half before have a pot at Kettering's goal. With the advantage of being a full-time team and a perceived greater stamina one expected York to press home their greater fitness in the closing stages but the threat failed to materialise and Jackson Smith had a quiet second half with a solid defensive display in front of him. The defending was not as frantic as Saturday's display but was just as solid. With back to back victories over three play-off contenders the team are playing with a confidence and a sense of joy which will serve them well to the end of the season. With the next two games against teams battling for survival in the division, which makes them dangerous opposition the management team must ensure that the team approach those games with the same approach as they have for the previous three.

The camaraderie and 100% effort and commitment shown by all the players cannot be denied and it is doubtful that they would if just for their own pride give anything less.


Kettering Town yellow cards: Jack Smith – foul

York City yellow cards: Kouogun, John-Lewis – foul,  Donaldson – dissent

Attendance: 852

Kettering Town Man-of-the-Match – Callum Stead – chosen by Essity  

Once again Callum showed his repertoire of footballing ability. Moving back into a more attacking role he showed pace and skill which scares defenders. Slight in build he shows a strength and determination to achieve want he wants. His finish for his goal was as good as any Premier League goal capping off a wonderful flowing move from Kettering which has to be a contender for goal of the month if not season. He was inches away from adding a second early in the second half from an opening generated by his own ball control loosing his marker to make space for the shot.

Klondike Winning ticket No – 03111, claimed by Chris Hurling who won £205

Team Sheet

Location: Home (L)
Kick Off: 05th Apr 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Connor Kennedy