Match Report - Biggleswade Town

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Biggleswade Town: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Callum Lewis 10


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Brett Solkhon 63
Silvano Obeng 86

Yellow Cards

Michael Richens 57
Will Grocott 89

Red Cards


Gary Mulligan > Silvano Obeng47
Liam Canavan > Jevani Brown60
Michael Richens > Saul Williams77

Biggleswade Town: 1


Chris Marsh 52

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Sam Merson > Craig Daniel63
Tony Burnett > Inih Offlong77

Match Report

It wasn’t at all pretty, but the Poppies took all three points against a decent Waders team who played with 10 men for 80 minutes - Callum Lewis, was a little harshly red carded  the 10th minute. 

In fact Biggleswade took the lead after 52 minutes through Chris Marsh, with Brett Solkhon equalising on 64 minutes. Kettering’s winner was an unfortunate own goal by Andrew Iwediuno 4 minutes from time. 


Loanee, Michael Richens, returned in defence at the expense of Steve Kinniburgh. Elliot Sandy replaced Andy Gooding and Courtney Baker-Richardson was still out injured.


Brett Solkhon, playing his 400th game for Kettering was applauded onto the pitch by both teams.

Pre match rain made the pitch greasy and challenging for both teams.

A 5th minute Kettering corner from James Brighton saw Brett Solkhon head to the back post where Dubi Ogbonna had a shot blocked.

Biggleswade, already without the ill Max York at right back, saw his replacement in that position, Callum Lewis sent off after just 10 minutes. 

Lewis went in hard on Liam Richardson just outside the penalty area, and the Referee deemed it a red card offence. The decision appeared somewhat harsh, and midfielder Ian Rees moved back into defence.

The 10 men, however seemed to cope well with what Kettering had to offer, and, with only one up top for the Poppies, it made it easier for them. 

Waders’ keeper, Ian Brown, collected Will Grocott’s low cross on 21 minutes and Elliot Sandy shot wide a couple of minutes later.

Both sides found it difficult to create chances at this stage. Shane Hill’s free kick was charged down, and Kettering keeper, Craig Hill had to race out to clear on 29 minutes.

For Kettering, Gary Mulligan glanced a header wide from Ogbonna’s cross and Brown spilled a couple of crosses with no one there from Kettering to take advantage.

Michael Richens fired wide from a 35th minute short corner; Ogbonna did well to chase a ball down - but cut inside and fired a left foot shot high over the bar. Then Grocott fired wide from Canavan’s lay off.

For Biggleswade, Chris Marsh’s 38th minute deflected shot was held by Hill.

In reality it was a poor half, which merited the goalless scoreline at the break.

Just three minutes into the half, Silvano Obeng replaced Gary Mulligan - who had suffered a head injury during the first period.

Biggleswade then took a 52nd minute lead. Richens miscued a clearance, which went high across the penalty area. Only Chris Marsh seemed to react and his simple, controlled header went past the stranded Hill.

This seemed to spur Kettering into some action and Dubi Ogbonna’s 54th minute left foot shot came firmly off the left upright.

Just three minutes later, Sam Merson’s free kick was very well saved by Hill as he palmed over the bar at full stretch.

With Kettering looking for an equaliser, the Waders broke away on 62 minutes and with a 3 on 1 situation, Shane Hill’s cross was poor and the chance was lost.

Kettering equalised on 64 minutes. A free kick was laid back by Obeng and Brett Solkhon drove the ball in from the edge of the penalty area.

Biggleswade were still well in the game and Lewis Hilliard’s 69th minute shot was deflected onto the left upright with Hill beaten.

It really was anyone’s game and visiting keeper, Brown, made an excellent save from Brighton’s free kick which looked like it was going in at the post. From the resultant 73rd minute corner, Solkhon had a free header at the near post - but headed over the bar!

Hilliard fired wide of the post and Brighton saw a shot saved by Brown.

It looked as if the game may fizzle out for a draw - but the Poppies found a winner four minutes from time in rather fortunate fashion.

Grocott’s free kick into a packed penalty area saw Obeng challenge and somehow defender Andrew Iwediuno  headed the ball firmly past Brown.

Jevani Brown had replaced Canavan and had a 87th minute shot saved and finally for Biggleswade, substitute Inih Offiong had a shot saved and another effort was high over the bar. 

Attendance: 429 

Poppies Man of the Match: Brett Solkhon

Klondike Result: Number 2399 (L Hawthorn £130)

Trust 500 Club: Both £60 - No.135 James Curtis; No. 234 Gordon Anderson.

Team Sheet

Location: Home (Latimer Park)
Kick Off: 03rd Nov 2015
Kettering Town FC
Captain: Brett Solkhon
1 Craig Hill
2 Michael Richens
3 Dominic Langdon
4 Brett Solkhon
5 Oliver Thorne
6 Gary Mulligan
7 Will Grocott
8 Elliot Sandy
9 Dubi Ogbonna
10 Liam Canavan
11 James Brighton
12 Jevani Brown
14 Andy Gooding
15 Danny Harmon
16 Silvano Obeng
17 Saul Williams
Biggleswade Town
Captain: Gavin Hoyte
1 Ian Brown
2 Callum Lewis
3 Michael King
4 Shane Hill
5 Gavin Hoyte
6 Andrew Iwelino
7 Chris Marsh
8 Ian Rees
9 Tony Burnett
10 Sam Merson
11 Lewis Hillard
12 Ryan Frater
14 Craig Daniel
15 Inih Offlong
16 Lee Allinson
17 Mark Coluson