Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




An other 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 1


Connor Kennedy 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




NA Other 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


Those Kettering fans watching at home must have been hiding behind the sofa after a dreadful first half for the Poppies. On the new all-weather surface, a high tempo from the home side simply swept Kettering away and well taken goals from Alex Whittle in just the second minute and Matt McClure on 35 minutes put them firmly in control. Kettering’s plight was not helped right on half time when Sam Jones was sent off after receiving a second yellow card for inexplicably and unnecessarily kicking the ball away.

The second period saw City manage the game well with the extra man and they added to their goal tally in added time when substitute Khaellem Bailey headed in from a corner. Kettering did manage a consolation goal, well taken by Connor Kennedy, which was effectively the last kick of the match.

The match saw 10 yellow cards (including the two for Kettering’s Jones) with City having six players booked in a sometimes-bad tempered match, which saw the Referee come in for some criticism from both sides for poor control and decision making.



There were no changes to the starting line up from last Saturday. Back to only five substitutes, those dropping out were Brett Solkhon  and George Herbert.

Team line-ups:


1   Louie Moulden

2   George Carline

3   Alex Whittle

4   Gavin Gunning

5   Liam Daly (Captain)

6   Fabien Robert

7   Kevin Dawson

8   Josh Thomas (14 Tommy O’Sullivan 72)

9   Akwasi Asante (16 Khaellem Bailey 71)

10 Matt McClure (11 Bernard Mensah,54)

15 Ben Morgan


Unused Substitutes:

Jack James; Jake Cole


Yellow Cards: Carline (65);Gunning (56);Daly (69):Dawson(43);Thomas (67); Asante (30);



1   Adam Collin

2   Gary Stohrer

3   Michael McGrath

4   Ben Milnes

5   Ryan Fryatt

6   Luke Graham (Captain)

7   Lorne Bickley (14 Jamie Chisholm,36)

8   Connor Kennedy

9   Joshua Scott (15 Lewis Wilson,65)

10  Sam Jones

11  Decarrey Sheriff (16 Ben Stephens,84)


Unused Substitutes:

12 Michael Richens

17 Jack Turner


Yellow Cards: Jones (31 and 45+2); Kennedy,43; Milnes (70).

Red Card: Jones (45+20 for the two yellows.



The Poppies made the first foray and Decarrey Sheriff’s low cross on the left was confidently held by home loanee keeper Louie Moulden.

The home side replied instantly with their first thrust into the Kettering half. A sweet move saw the ball played out to wingback Alex Whittle in space on the left. He shaped his body to strike the ball with the outside of his left foot and the shot curled neatly around the despairing dive of Adam Collin and in at the right post for a delightful finish.

Gloucester were rampant and throwing men forward at every opportunity. With three giants at the back, the two wingbacks of Whittle and George Carline began to cause all sorts of problems and with Fabien Robert directing the passes in midfield, Kettering simply had no answers early on. Collin made a good save, diving left to foil Kevin Dawson and Akwasi Asante saw his shot well blocked by Luke Graham. With still only 9 minutes gone, Collin had to get down quickly to cut out a dangerous low cross from Dawson.

On 12 minutes Asante met a cross from the right and fortunately for the Poppies his scissor kick was straight at Collin. It was still fast and furious stuff as Gary Stohrer just got a foot in to deny McClure who was in on goal.

The Poppies forced their first corner on 18 minutes and Ben Milnes delivery was easily cleared by Liam Daly. Collin was again in action in the next minute as he saved McClure’s low left foot drive.

Decarrey Sheriff was finding some space down the left and his 20th minute cross was punched away by the diving Moulden. The next minute saw what seemed to be a good chance for the Poppies as Moulden and a defender appeared to clash and the ball fell to Josh Scott. As the young striker was about to fire the ball into an empty net the Referee blew for a free kick to the home side.

Kettering were slowly trying to get into the game, forcing a corner and free kick- both of which came to nothing. The frenetic pace had dropped by the half hour, but City soon forced a couple of shots on goal which were well defended by effective blocks. But as Kettering began to find some rhythm Gloucester scored again. A corner on the left saw McClure in plenty of space and his cheeky flick saw the ball go in at the far post. It was another well taken effort.

Kettering immediately changed formation with Lorne Bickley being sacrificed for central defender, Jamie Chisholm, which made it a back three to match Gloucester’s formation. 

Tempers flared on 43 minutes as Kettering’s Ryan Fryatt appeared to win a header fairly from Asante, who ended up on the floor. It seemed as if Asante clattered into Fryatt after the header was won. Fryatt received no attention from the Referee but there was an unruly exchange between the players which saw both Connor Kennedy and Kevin Dawson yellow carded for handbags and remarkably the game re-started with a home free lick…. 

That was not the end of the excitement though, as, in added time, Sam Jones inexplicably kicked the ball away after the Referee had blown for a foul and, already on a yellow card, was sent off.


Half Time:


GLOUCESTER CITY     2        -     0        KETTERING TOWN


The Poppies now faced a real up hill struggle for the second period.

There appeared some continuing niggles between the somewhat incongruous teams at the start of the half and soon the yellow cards began to appear as, strangely, Gloucester lost their composure. 

An early Carline run from the right saw him threaten – but the away defence managed to clear under pressure. Kettering did create a great chance on 54 minutes as Sheriff raced past his marker on the left and his cross found Kennedy, who headed narrowly over the bar from a few yards out. Soon after, Collin was quickly off his line to clear from substitute Bernard Mensah.

City soon began to play to orders and manage the game against 10 men playing the ball around the park, stringing successions of passes together. There were instances where their play was sloppy giving the Poppies some hope … but chances for Kettering were rare.

Collin collected a decent cross from Carline on 75 minutes and then saved a low shot from substitute Khaellem Bailey.

Sheriff won a free kick on the left on 81 minutes which saw Milnes’ free kick come back to him off a defender and his shot was beaten away.

Collin prevented a third home goal on 83 minutes as Bailey was clear on goal and the keeper’s save from a drilled shot a few yards out was the save of the match.

Both Lewis Wilson and Ben Stephens had been introduced replacing Scott and Sheriff and the two co-conspirators combined well with Stohrer on 88 minutes but Moulden was sharply out to smother off Wilson’s toes.

Gloucester made it three in added time as Bailey headed in to the left side of the goal, unchallenged, from a free kick on the right.

There was just time for Kettering to claim a consolation goal as a free kick fell nicely for Kennedy in the penalty area and his low right foot shot went in off the left upright. 

Full Time:

GLOUCESTER CITY     3      -      1        KETTERING TOWN


Attendance: 0


Referee: Matthew Scholes: Assistants: Daniel Pattison and Dean Steatham


Poppies man of the Match: Connor Kennedy (for sheer determination and never give up attitude rewarded with a goal)


Our next game is a League game at home to Southport on Saturday 10th October (3pm). Streaming details will be available on this site this week. 


Match Report by Sadman KTFC





Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 06th Oct 2020
Kettering Town FC
Red / black
0 Connor Kennedy
0 An other
0 NA Other