Match Report - LEAMINGTON

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Danny Waldron -208
Jack Edwards -186
Dan Meredith -178

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


With Latimer Park unplayable at 10am, the tie was switched to the Community Stadium Leamington. Kettering’s hopes of progression in the competition were effectively dashed in the first 11 minutes, as Leamington took a first minute lead through Dan Waldron and 10 minutes later lost Captain, Michael McGrath, who was sent off. Two further goals in the half from Jack Edwards and Jack Lane gave the Brakes a match winning half time lead. With floodlight failure during the interval causing a two hour playing delay, things got worse in the second half for the Poppies as both Connor Kennedy and Connor Johnson were also sent off, reducing Kettering to 8 men, although no further goals were scored.



With Callum Powell (and indeed Rhys Sharpe) cup-tied, on loan Liam Hughes started and Jevan Anderson returned into defence with Ben Milnes reverting to the substitutes bench.

The teams lined up:



1   Jake Weaver

2   Josh Martin (17 Connor Taylor,81)

3   Stephan Morley

4   Joe Clarke

5   Kyle Morrison

6   Jack Lane

7   Taylor Allen

8   Simeon Maye (12 Callum Gittings,76)

9   Kaiman Anderson

10 Jack Edwards (14 Junior English,67)

11 Danny Waldron

Unused substitutes:

15 Lance Smith

16 Tyrell Hamilton

Yellow Cards: Morrison; Morley.



1   Adam Collin

2   Gary Stohrer

3   Connor Johnson 

4   Jevan Anderson 

5   Ryan Fryatt 

6   Michael McGrath (Captain) 

7   Liam Hughes    

8   Connor Kennedy

24 Kyle Perry (14 Ben Stephens,46)

10 Michael Richens 

11 Decarrey Sheriff   

Unused Substitutes:

12 Sam Jones

13 Jacob Wood 

15 Ben Milnes

16 Khaellem Bailey-Nicholls

17 Ashanti Price

18 David Chapman

Yellow cards: Anderson;Richens.

Red Cards: McGrath (2 yellows);Kennedy (2 yellows);Johnson (2 yellows) 



Things started badly for Kettering. An unnecessary free kick conceded in the first minute saw Stephan Morley’s free kick from the left nodded across goal for Dan Waldron to slide into the net. A second free kick 2 minutes later to the back post just eluded the home players.

It really was a slow start for the Poppies and their first effort on 9 minutes saw Michael Richens screw his left foot shot well wide. At the other end, Joe Clarke also shot tamely wide.

The game changed on 11 minutes. Michael McGrath got himself into an exchange of words with the Referee and received two yellow cards within 20 seconds, both for dissent, and was dismissed.

Kettering were all at sea at this stage and seemed totally disorganised. Eventually they managed to get out of their own half and Kyle Perry’s bobbling effort saw Jake Weaver grab the ball high over his head. The Poppies forced a free kick and corner, both capably defended and, on the break, Leamington’s Waldron had a shot blocked after a long throw into the Kettering penalty area.

It was 2-0 on 23 minutes. Another free kick, this time from a distance, saw Jack Edwards, unchallenged, win the header on the penalty spot and his header was low and firm past a stranded Adam Collin. Another long and high free kick a couple of minutes later saw the ball rebound to a grateful Collin.

Little was being seen of Kettering in attack apart from the usual Connor Kennedy long throws into the penalty area. Morley’s 31st minute low left foot free kick was parried away by Collin diving to his right. From the resulting Dan Meredith high in-swinging corner on the left, the third goal went in off the far post with Jack Lane claiming a final touch.

Kettering were really on the floor at this stage and Collin was forced into another diving save to his left from Waldron’s right foot shot. Waldron then benefited from a clever back heel but the shot was straight at Collin.

Leamington forced two more corners in added time in the half-both cleared, but from the second clearance, Meredith’s cross came off the crossbar with Collin beaten. Kettering finally won a corner and Ryan Fryatt’s header was pushed over the bar by Weaver.

Half Time:

LEAMINGTON       3      -     0        KETTERING TOWN

The floodlights failed during the interval and the game re-started after a near two hour break.

There were early yellow cards for Richens and Kennedy as Kettering struggled with their predicament. Leamington seemed content to manage the game and get forward quickly if possible, as Kettering’s ten men started to get themselves together.

Ben Stephens had replaced Perry on the restart and his 49th minute free kick from 30 yards was way off target, as was Richens’ shot a minute later. Decarrey Sheriff was chasing everything and his run on the right saw his dangerous cross elude a red shirt.

Connor Johnson was the next yellow card for a foul and Morley’s 55th minute shot was just over the bar. Leamington were not immune to the Referee’s yellow card as both Kyle Morrison and Morley were cautioned.

Weaver was down smartly on 57 minutes to smother from the lively Sheriff and the next meaningful Kettering attack saw Sheriff’s cross, from the left this time, put out for a corner. Fryatt won the header from the restart but it was wide of the target.

Sheriff’s 70th minute low shot was a comfortable save for Weaver. Kettering had a good chance four minutes later, with Johnson’s firm low header from a corner well saved by the diving Weaver. The keeper was again in action shortly afterwards as he smothered the ball away from the advancing Kennedy.

With Leamington clearly happy to play the game out, Kettering’s 10 men were able to continue to get forward and Sheriff hit the post with a left footed effort on 77 minutes. Richens’ pile-driver on 78 minutes was deflected wide and a minute later the same player evaded three tackles but shot into the side netting.

Kennedy’s second yellow card, again for a foul, reduced Kettering to 9 men on 80 minutes and they were down to 8 men seven minutes later as Johnson suffered the same fate.

Leamington could have scored more goals but for some heroic defending by the 8 remaining Kettering players.

It had been a night to regret and forget for Kettering Town FC.

Full Time:

LEAMINGTON      3       -      0       KETTERING TOWN   

Attendance: 0

Referee: Adrian Quelch; Assistants: Adam Burgess and Timothy Walker.

Fourth Official: Lee Hartley

Poppies Man of the Match: Decarrey Sheriff.


Next home game on Saturday 23rd January at 3pm against Darlington. 

Remaining January games: 

Farsley Celtic away Tuesday 26th at 7.45pm

Spennymoor Town away Saturday 30th at 3pm

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.

Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 19th Jan 2021
Kettering Town FC
0 Dan Meredith
0 Jack Edwards
0 Danny Waldron