Match Report - BUXTON

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 1


Kyle Perry 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Ben Milnes 45
De Girolamo 45
De Girolamo 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The Poppies bowed out of this season’s Emirates FA Cup after an extra time defeat at Buxton. As in the first game, the lead was gained, this time in the 58th minute through Kyle Perry (above), but a goal from ex Poppy, Ben Milnes in the 72nd minute sent the game into added time. Further goals from Diego De Girolamo in the 95th and 109th minutes sealed the game. Harrison Neal was sent off in the 100th minute after receiving two yellow cards. There was a bizarre 12-minute stoppage as the floodlights went out at 10pm in line with the planning conditions for use of the 3g surface, and eventually the lights were turned back on. During that period Kettering’s Assistant Manager, John Ramshaw also was sent off.


There were three changes. Luke O’Neill replaced Connor Barrett, Lamine Sherif and Kyle Perry came in for Luke Ward and Isaac Stones and Tom Unwin was left out.

The teams lined up:


1   Theo Richardson

2   Matt Curley

3   Nathan Fox (14 Chris Dawson,72)

4   Ben Milnes

5   Josh Granite (Captain)

6   James Hurst

7   Jamie Ward (16 Akeem Hinds,110)

8   Lindon Meikle

9   Diego de Girolamo

10 Tom Elliott (12 Ashley Chambers,109)

11 Warren Clarke

Unused substitutes:

15  Ben Middleton

17  Jack Dillingham

18  Oliver Sherwood

19  Heath Richardson

Yellow Cards: Ward,42; Richardson,58; Granite,90+5; Elliot,98: Milnes,117.



1  Jackson Smith

2  Luke O’Neill 

3  Alex Brown (17 Decarrey Sheriff,107)

4  Gary Stohrer (Captain)

5  Connor Johnson (15 Rhys Sharpe,109)

6  Chris Smith   

7  Callum Powell

16 Claudio Ofosu 

24 Kyle Perry (

Isaac Stones,90)

10 Lamine Sherif (8 Jordon Crawford,96)

11 Harrison Neal

Unused Substitutes:

12 Luke Ward

14 Connor Barrett

G/K Rhys Davies

Yellow cards: Johnson,37; Neal,90+2 and 100.

Subsequent Red card: Neal,100.



The Bucks started as they meant to go on with a flowing 1st minute move which saw Tom Elliott fire wide. The Poppies responded with two corners, and from the second Chris Smith should have scored as he headed over from a couple of yards out.

Kyle Perry soon came to the referee’s attention with two early fouls, both of which could have been given in his favour. He was to be a constant ‘adviser’ to the referee for the rest of his time on the pitch…!

Buxton’s long ball tactics, trying to send their wide men away, almost paid dividends in the 7th minute, but Jamie Ward could just not control the ball and it fell to Kettering keeper, Jackson Smith. Ben Milnes’ free kick was well headed away by Perry and Chris Smith did well to clear another punt downfield.

Another ex-Poppy, Nathan Fox, was lucky to escape a yellow card as he floored Callum Powell and on 15 minutes, Smith had another chance from a corner but headed wide.

Danger man Diego De Girolamo saw his 17th minute shot blocked out and a minute later Chris Smith made a saving tackle as Ward closed in on goal.

The game became rather scrappy for 10 minutes as the teams battled for supremacy, and the next meaningful attack, this time from Kettering, saw Powell’s cross from the left just too high for Gary Stohrer. On 31 minutes a great cross from the right from Luke O’Neill saw Perry put the ball just over the bar.

Kettering almost scored on 36 minutes. After another foul on Powell, Harrison Neal’s free kick was headed against the bar by Connor Johnson and dropped on the goal line before being scrambled clear.

The next minute saw Johnson taken out late by Josh Granite for a foul but no caution, and in turn Johnson then conceded a free kick in a dangerous position, and Jackson Smith easily saved Ben Milnes’ free kick.

Johnson figured again on 43 minutes as he collected a loose ball from O’Neill’s free kick- but the shot was over the bar. The final action of the half saw Powell again crossing well but there was no Kettering player in the six-yard box.

Half Time:

BUXTON         0         -       0            KETTERING TOWN

There were no player changes as, again, Buxton started well from the kick off and Tom Elliott’s cross from the left went begging. Jackson Smith then saved well from Elliott’s 48th minute shot after Connor Johnson misjudged the ball. 

The Poppies countered well and Claudio Ofosu was just beaten to a header from Powell’s dangerous cross. On 52 minutes a foul on Perry saw Powell’s 30 yard free kick palmed just over the bar by Theo Richardson, only for the referee to give a goal kick.

On 54 minutes Buxton’s Warren Clarke pounced on a loose clearance and from a good position fired well wide. Kettering countered immediately and Gary Stohrer’s curling cross just evaded Perry and Richardson palmed the ball away for a fruitless corner. 

The Poppies took the lead on 58 minutes. After a clearance from a set piece, Alex Brown’s deep cross from the right saw Johnson head back across goal and Kyle Perry glanced a header past Richardson. The home keeper was incensed that the ball had gone out of play before Johnson’s header, and he may have had a point- but the goal was given and the keeper was cautioned.

Buxton were knocked back at this stage and Kettering began to take some control but it was to be only temporary. On 64 minutes Clarke’s cross was easy for Jackson Smith and a minute later Elliott’s shot was well blocked and cleared.

Buxton controversially equalised on 72 minutes. Connor Johnson was taken out of the game on the Kettering left, right in front of the Assistant, but play was allowed to continue as De Girolamo drifted into the penalty area and slid the ball across for Milnes to finish low past Jackson Smith.

Kettering tried to respond and Powell’s shot was well saved by Richardson.On 78 minutes there was a call for handball in the area by Josh Granite (similar to the penalty given against Chris Smith last Saturday) but nothing was given. Powell then worked an opening but the curling shot was just too high.

It was end to end stuff now in the last 10 minutes as De Girolamo stabbed a chance wide and for Kettering Johnson missed a header from Neal’s cross when he looked like scoring. Chris Smith blocked a Clarke shot and Powell’s 83rdminute effort was easy for Richardson.

Dawson headed wide for Buxton and, at the other end, Perry’s header was straight at Richardson. Final good pressure from Kettering saw Neal’s cross go wide 

90 Minutes:

BUXTON         1        -       1          KETTERING TOWN 

Extra time followed and immediately Kettering’s Powell was left in a heap from a tackle but no offence was spotted by the officials.

Kettering won a corner on 94 minutes which was cleared, and from a break on their right, Buxton scored through De Girolamo as he drifted in from the right and scored a goal similar to the one he scored from open play in the first game- giving Jackson Smith no chance.

Worse was to follow for Kettering, as Neal was sent off for a second yellow card offence. Both teams recorded substitutions and the lights went out for roughly 12 minutes, during which time Kettering’s Assistant Manager, John Ramshaw was sent off.

Half time in extra time:

BUXTON                  2      -        1              KETTERING TOWN

In the first minute of the second period in added time the ball struck the referee who allowed play to continue and De Girolamo was put clear but Jackson Smith made a fine save.

On 110 minutes the referee appeared to award a free kick to Kettering and as the players lined up he realised that the teams had swapped round at half time and reversed the free kick to Buxton. Rather bizarre to say the least,as from this a quick free kick was taken and Milnes slipped the ball to De Girolamo who made no mistake with a low finish.

With Kettering down to 10 men and two goals down they threw men forward in a vain effort to score. Chris Smith’s header was held by Richardson and from a home breakaway Jackson Smith saved well from substitute, Akeem Hinds. Fianally Richardson saved well in his six-yard box as Kettering substitutes Decarrey Sheriff and Isaac Stones tried to force the ball in. 

120 Minutes:

BUXTON        3         -        1            KETTERING TOWN

Attendance: 1017 (away fans estimated at 120)

Referee: Ed Duckworth  Assistants: Neil Evans and Luis Griffiths  4th Official: Matthew Tyers

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Claudio Ofosu


Next HOME game:

Saturday October 23rd HOME to Southport at 3pm

Remaining October games:

Tuesday October 26th away at Hereford at 7.45pm

Saturday October 30th away at Leamington at 3pm

Early November games:

Saturday November 6th HOME to Darlington at 3pm

Tuesday November 9th away at AFC Rushden and Diamonds (Northants Hillier Senior Cup) at 7.45pm

Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 19th Oct 2021
Kettering Town FC
0 Kyle Perry
0 Ben Milnes
0 De Girolamo
0 De Girolamo